Quick and Easy Blood Orange Mini Cheesecakes are a brilliant dessert made with very little effort. There’s a buttery crisp biscuit base, light and creamy cheesecake and blood orange topping, all contained in a little glass ramekin.
Have you heard of blood oranges?
The blood orange is a variety of orange with crimson coloured flesh. Apparently the dark coloured flesh develops with low night time temperatures and is high in antioxidant pigments. The flesh and juice is sweet and delicious. However, they are only available in the early months of the year, so if you want to make the Quick and Easy Blood Orange Mini Cheesecakes, you can substitute plain old ‘orange’ oranges.
I was was very impressed by the Deiss Zester and Cheese Grater, it’s super sharp and makes short work of grating orange and lemon zest, garlic and hard cheese.
- 8 digestive biscuits
- 60 g butter
- 450 g Skyr or thick Greek yogurt
- 50 g honey
- grated zest of 1 orange
- Segments from two blood oranges
- 50 g sugar
- 6 small ramekins
- Place the biscuits in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin
- Melt the butter and mix with the crushed biscuits
- Divide the biscuit mixture between the ramekins and press down with a teaspoon
- Mix the skyr or Greek yogurt with the honey and orange zest
- Divide the mixture between the ramekins, then chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile peel the blood oranges and cut out the segments and place in a bowl, catch any juice from the oranges and place in a small saucepan, add the sugar and heat gently until melted.
- Bring the sugar syrup to a boil and boil for 4 minutes until syrupy, take off the heat add the orange segments, set aside to cool.
- To serve, remove the ramekins from the fridge and add 2-3 orange segments and a teaspoon of juice on top of the cheesecake.
- If you can't get blood oranges, use other sweet oranges, all that will be missing is the glowing red colour!
Here are some great Blood Orange recipes from top UK bloggers:
Kale and Blood Orange Cake – Veggie Desserts
Blood Orange Salad with Avocado, Radish and Dill – Family Friends Food
Pan Fried Hake with Sauce Maltaise & Purple Sprouting Broccoli – Natural Kitchen Adventures
Blood Orange Squash – Tin & Thyme