I know that lots of people find it difficult to find time for breakfast and grab a cereal bar in preference to sitting down to eat. There’s nothing wrong with that especially if you make your own so you know exactly what you are getting.
These particular energy bars were created to meet the rather exacting requirements of this month’s We Should Cocoa challenge over at Chocolate Log Blog. We should Cocoa is hosted alternately by Choclette at Chocolate Log Blog and Chele at Chocolate Teapot.
Choclette has challenged us to make something, using chocolate of course, but without any cane sugar. Honey and other sweeteners are allowed. It also gave me a chance to use some of the Sugar and Crumbs cherry flavoured cocoa powder which has really natural cherry flavour and really enhanced the energy bars.
Chocolate Cherry Energy Bars
- 100 g butter
- 200 g clear honey
- 150 g rolled oats
- 50 g cocoa powder I used Sugar and Crumbs, Cherry flavoured cocoa powder
- 130 g mixed seeds
- 10 g Chia Bia Powder optional*
- 10 g Baobab Superfruit powder optional*
- 100 g chopped nuts I used walnuts
- 100 g dried cherries alternatively sultanas or cranberries
- 50 g ground almonds
- *If not using the Chia or Bilbao powders then add an additional 20g mixed seeds.
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Melt the butter and honey in a saucepan
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and press into a 22cm square baking tin
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting into bars
- Leave to cool completely before removing.
This is also another recipe for Breakfast Club ‘Cooked or Baked’ open until 24th February.