I saw a photograph of a Courgette (Zucchini) and Hummus Pizza on Pinterest, unfortunately the link went to a blog that was private so I wasn’t able to get the recipe, however I was intrigued by this unusual topping, so decided to have a go myself.
Having recently returned from Appleby and the Lake District via Little Salkeld Mill, near Penrith, where you can see the flour milled, enjoy the delights of the cafe and stock up on all the organic goodies.
It’s very simple to make the Courgette and Hummus Pizza, once you have made your pizza dough, you simply spread on the hummus and add your finely sliced courgette slices, herbs and grated cheese.
I had some cheese with red onions but any strong cheese would be ideal. If you like the idea of you could add thin slices under the courgettes or sprinkle finely chopped red onion over the top before adding the cheese.
Courgette and Hummus Pizza
For the dough
- 2 tsp fast action dried yeast
- 300 ml milk
- 200 g spelt flour
- 300 g strong white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt
- 30 g butter melted
For the topping
- 1 large courgette zucchini finely sliced
- 200 g hummus I used homemade, if you can try and find one that is not completely smooth but any will do
- 100 g Tickler Extra Mature Cheddar with Red Onions or cheese of your choice
- I made my dough in the bread maker, but if you want to make it by hand, put all the ingredients in a large bowl and add the salt and the yeast keeping them away from each other. Add the olive oil and 150ml of the water and mix. Add the remaining water a little at a time until you have a smooth, soft dough.
- Tip the dough onto an oiled surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth. Leave for an hour until doubled in size.
- Split off enough dough for your pizza and roll is or press it onto a tray, spread the hummus in a thick layer over the dough, place the slices of courgette over the hummus. Crumble the mature cheddar and scatter over the pizza.
- Cover the pizza with oiled cling film and leave to rise for a further 30 minutes.
- Bake at 200C for 20-30 minutes until the base is cooked, the courgettes have crisped and the cheese is melted and golden.
I had the opportunity to try out the new Clean Cut Pizza Wheel from OXO Good Grips, so here is the result, it was easy to hold and cut through the topping and base with ease. I also liked the plastic cover for the sharp blade although it can be a little tricky to get the cover off!
Clean Cut Pizza Wheel: For the perfect pizza party, use the OXO Good Grips Clean Cut Pizza Wheel. This hand-held pizza slicer provides leverage and control for easy slicing and the 10cm stainless steel wheel easily cuts through thin- or thick-crust pizza. The soft, comfortable, non-slip grip will make portioning out slices for everyone a breeze. The handle comes apart and blade removes for easy cleaning, and the blade guard snaps on to protect the blade and hands for storage. The Pizza Wheel is dishwasher safe. RRP £10
More Pizza Recipes