I’ve missed a couple of months of Random Recipe posts, the blogger challenge run by Dom at Belleau Kitchen. It’s a lot of fun to take part, however, due to impending work on my kitchen I’ve had to clear all my cookbooks away into bags and boxes, but I came across a pile of old Bella Cookbook magazines to which I applied the standard Random Recipe formula!
My random choice was January/February 2004, goodness nearly 10 years ago! I did love this magazine, looking through these copies there are loads of recipes that I have made and must revisit.
However, Random Recipes is about making recipes you have overlooked and never made so my random pick is Crunchy Topped Haddock Cod, or other white fish of your choice. I used frozen cod because it was what I had in the freezer.
This is such a simple dish, all the ingredients are cooked under the grill (broiler) and it combines some amazingly different textures and flavour which come together to make a delicious supper.
I served Crunch Topped Cod on a bed of mashed potatoes but it would also work well with rice or simply with a salad. The fish fillet flaked easily and the combination of the creamy mascarpone, juicy tomatoes, sharp Cheddar cheese, and crunchy crisps was a total delight. It’s light but filling and makes a wonderful lunch or light supper dish.
Crunch Topped Cod
- 4 175g/6oz pieces of cod fillet (or other white fish)
- 4 small tomatoes sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled and sliced
- 500 g spinach, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 125 g mascarpone cheese
- 75 g g/3oz Cheddar cheese grated
- 30 g plain crisps, lightly crushed
- Preheat the grill to high. Place the cod on a foil lined grill pan. Season with salt and pepper. Top with tomato slices. Grill for 3-4 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- While the fish is cooking, heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the garlic of r1 min. Add the spinach. Cover; cook over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until wilted. Draini n a sieve, pressing out the excess liquid with the back of a spoon. Season with nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm.
- Apread the mascarpone over the tomatoes an fish. Top wth Cheddar chees; season. Grill for 2-3 minutes until melted. Scatter over the crisps; gril lfor 1 min until golden. Serve the fish with the warm spinach.
I made some mashed potatoes and served them topped with the spinach and cheesy fish. The from fish fillet flaked easily and the combination of the creamy mascarpone, juicy tomatoes, sharp Cheddar cheese, and crunchy crisps was a total delight.