It was such a pleasure to watch Nigel Slater cook in ‘Dish of the Day’ on BBC 1 before Christmas, and I did go on about it rather a lot, so it was probably not surprising, but very pleasing, to receive The kitchen diaries II as a Christmas present. I have dipped into this delicious book and found so many recipes that I would like to make that I thought I would create an ‘event’ to make sure sure that I do! It’s not a formal, black tie sort of event, that would never do for Nigel, it’s more of an informal invitation to drop in and join me once a month to share some home cooking.
My Dish of the Month for January is ‘a soup of bacon and celeriac’ from page 7 of The kitchen diairies II
This was a very simple soup to make, just the thing for a cold January day. The most challenging part of the recipe is grating the celeriac. But that is easy enough if you use of a food processor. The flavour of the soup is subtle but with a mustardy kick. It would be great served with a slice of baguette floating on top, loaded with melted grated cheese.
Sue at Heaven on a Plate is also a fan of the TV programmes and The kitchen diaries, and will be joining me in cooking a ‘Dish of the Month’ from Nigel’s recipes. If you would like to take part, you don’t even have to own the book as you can cook anything by Nigel Slater. You can access 56 recipes from ‘Dish of the Day’ on the BBC Food website. There are also many recipes from Nigel’s regular column on The Guardian website.
The kitchen diaries II is divided by month and I plan to cook a dish from each month in that month, but that isn’t compulsory either, you can pick and choose however you like.
If you would like to take part, then please:
- Make a Dish of the Month from ANY recipe by Nigel Slater
- Link to Farmersgirl Kitchen or A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate
- Use the Dish of the Month logo in your post
- If you use twitter, tweet your post with @serialcrafter or Heavenona_plate and #DishoftheMonth and we will re-tweet it to our followers.
- If you own The kitchen diaries II please do not publish the recipes on your blog without permission, they are copyright.
- If you are using recipes from the BBC Food website, please link to the recipe on BBC Food rather than publishing the recipe. Likewise recipes on the Guardian website.
- One entry per blog.
- Recipes must be added to the linky by the 28th of each month.
Add your Dish of the Month to the linky below: