taking part in the Applewood Spreadable Blogger Challenge and this Kale and Pumpkin Tart is
the first of three recipes I will be sharing with you using Applewood
The new spreadable product is the latest, exciting new product from Applewood to join the existing range. This versatile new spreadable is an ideal cheese for today’s modern lifestyle – you can spread some over bread, stir into a variety of recipes and share with friends by dunking into various snacks.
Kale and Pumpkin Tart with Applewood Spreadable
1 28cm/11in shortcrust pastry flan case, baked blind
1 small pumpkin, seeds and peel removed
3 tbsp oil
2 small onions, sliced
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
150ml double cream
100g Applewood Spreadable
100g grated cheese (I used cheddar but if you have Applewood Smoked, that would be even better!)
1. Make the flan case according to the instructions on the Frequently Used Recipes page.
2. Cut the pumpkin into even sized chunks add, mix with 3 tbsp oil and roast for about 30-40 minutes until tinged with brown and tender, leave to cool.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil and 30g butter, gently fry the onions and garlic until soft and translucent, add the kale and stir for 3-4 minutes until it starts to soften, set aside to cool.
5. Mix together the Applewood Spreadable with a little cream to slacken
it off, then add the rest of the cream. Add the the eggs and beat into
the cream mixture, season to taste and pour over the kale and pumpkin. Top with the grated cheese.
6. Bake at 160C for 40 minutes until the egg is set and the cheese is golden and crispy.
Serve with leeks and peas cooked gently in butter and a little stock.
The soft sweet pumpkin went well with the texture of the kale and the smoky cheese flavour of the the Applewood Spreadable was the perfect compliment to both of them. Although most of the ingredients in this tart are vegetarian, the Applewood Spreadable is NOT, so I would suggest that if you don’t eat animal products, you choose to use Applewood Smoked Cheddar to get the smoky flavour in the tart.
I received samples of Applewood Spreadable Cheese and a hamper of food products to use in the competition, I have not been paid for this post and all opinions are my own.