Lamb & Cannellini Bean Hotpot is a warming dish of lamb and beans in a rich tomato sauce. The recipe is quick to prepare and cooks in the oven in 30 minutes.
I’m a bit fan of warming stews and casseroles and I often make them in my slow cooker. But this recipe cooks more quickly and canned beans are such a great standby to bulk out a recipe and add flavour, texture and fibre.
Ingredients for Lamb & Cannellini Beans Hotpot
What cuts of lamb can I use?
I use lamb leg steaks for the Lamb and Cannellini Bean Hotpot. You can also use lamb chops.
Use a tender quite quick-cooking cut of lamb because a slow-cooking cut, for example, shoulder of lamb would be tough because it needs a longer cooking time.
What kind of beans can I use?
I use Cannellini Beans in the recipe but you can use many other types of beans. I recommend beans that are canned in water, however, if you only have beans in a sauce then you can also use them. Be aware that it will change the flavour and texture of the hotpot.
- Haricot beans
- Flageolet beans
- Butter Beans
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
- Borlotti Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Pinto Beans
Serve the Lamb & Cannellini Bean Hotpot on it’s own with crusty bread or with a baked potato and a green vegetable or salad.
More Lamb Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Slow Cooker Lamb Ras el Hanout is a rich and flavourful casserole with chunks of tender, melting and spiced lamb. It’s so easy to make in the slow cooker with a fragrant ras el hanout spice mix.
Asian Spiced Shoulder of Lamb is a recipe to make when you want to impress. The spices are absorbed into the lamb the whole dish is an absolute delight.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Lamb with Rosemary Garlic and Lemon couldn’t be easier to make. You simply marinate a leg of lamb with rosemary, garlic, and lemon overnight and pop in the slow cooker in the morning.
More Canned Bean Recipes
- Turkey Chilli with Baked Beans – Fab Food 4 All
- Chocolate Refried Beans – Tin & Thyme
- Smoky Baked Beans with Aubergine – Sneaky Veg
PIN FOR LATER
Let’s get social!
Lamb & Cannelini Bean Hotpot
- 450 g lamb leg steaks 4
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 200 g mushrooms optional
- 800 g canned haricot beans 2 x 400g cans drained (or use cannellini or flageolet beans )
- 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 200C. .
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to medium-high heat. Brown the lamb steaks, then set aside.
- Reduce the heat and fry the onions in the oil for about 5 minutes, until they are transparent.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, beans and half the oregano, and stir briefly. Add the stock and tomatoes, season, then bring to the boil.
- Tip and bean mixture into a large ovenproof dish. Lay the chops on top of a single layer.
- Sprinkle with the remaining oregano, drizzle with the remaining oil and seaon.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 30 minutes until the chops are tender and nicely browned.