The Slow Cooker is often put away in the cupboard over the summer, in the Slow Cooker Challenge for July I have challenged my readers to get that Crockpot or Slow Cooker out of the cupboard and make a summery dish to enjoy after a day out. Let’s face it we are more likely to be away all day to the beach, the park or other attraction over the summer months and it’s so nice to come home to a meal like this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken, that’s ready as soon as you walk in the door.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Recipe
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
- 4-8 chicken drumsticks or thighs skinned
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 red serrano chilli seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 475 ml chicken stock
- 4 Tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 50 g bitter chocolate
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Lime wedges
- Preheat the slow cooker on high. Lightly rinse or wipe the chicken drumsticks and pat dry on kitchen roll. Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan, brown the drumsticks on all sides, drain and place in the cooking pot.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli to the frying pan and saute for 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, then take off the heat.
- Blend the tomato puree with a tablespoon of the stock and gradually stir into the pan with the remaining stock and the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the chocolate with seasoning and bring to the boil Cook, stirring until the sauce has thickened slightly, then pour over the drumsticks. Cook on high for 3-5 hours.
- Remove from the cooker, adjust the seasoning of the sauce then pour over the chicken. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, garnish with lime wedges and serve with freshly cooked rice and a green salad.
I can really recommend this recipe, the rich tomato sauce has just enough heat and the bitter chocolate adds a deep note of umami without tasting in anyway like chocolate.
You can win a copy of The Slow Cooker Cookbook by Gina Steer on the Slow Cooker Challenge post entries open until 28th July, 2014 (CLOSED)