- Pesto Chicken Macaroni Soup
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 1 carrot quartered and sliced
- 2 celery sticks finely sliced
- 2 waxy potatoes diced (skin on)
- 500 g chicken thigh fillets
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 240 g macaroni
- 200 g green pesto
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Saute the onions, carrot, celery and potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, stock cubes bay leaves and 1.5 litres boiling water. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface, for 30 minutes or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked. Discard the bay leaves.
- Remove the chicken to a chopping board and cool slightly, finely shred, then return to the soup with the macaroni. Cook for 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in the pesto. Season and serve.
The Pesto, Chicken Macaroni soup was really filling and had a lovely flavour, it was ideal to take to work for lunch and is hearty enough to make an excellent main meal with lots of crusty bread.