The second gadget I was provided with was the OXO Good Grips Cupcake Icing Knife which is small angled spatula that makes it really easy to top your cupcakes with buttercream or another type of icing. I usually pipe my icing on but loved this more relaxed and rustic looking icing (also no icing bag palaver!).To make things even easier I used Sugar and Crumbs Natural Flavoured Icing Sugar in ‘Salted Caramel’ flavour.
PIN FOR LATER
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 125g soft butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium apple
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 75g soft butter
- 150g Sugar and Crumbs Salted Caramel Icing Sugar
- 1tbsp milk
- A few pieces of fudge, chopped small to decorate.
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Using a stand mixer beat the sugar and butter together.
- Add the eggs one at a time and finally the vanilla extract.
- Beat the mixture for about 3 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the butter mixture and beat until incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into eight paper case.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes until golden and when pressed on the top they feel firm.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Peel the apple and chop into even sized pieces, bearing in mind that they will have to fit into the cupcake.
- Place the apple pieces sugar and water in a pan and cook on a medium heat until the sugar melts and starts to caramelise and the apple starts to soften.
- Using the corer or a teaspoon, cut a core from the centre of the cupcake and fill with a teaspoon of the apple mixture.
- Cut the cake core in half and replace the top over the apple mixture.
- Beat the butter for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the icing sugar add the milk and beat for a further few minutes until the sugar and butter are combined.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cupcakes.
- Decorate with chopped pieces of fudge.
These Salted Caramel Apple Cupcakes are definitely, worth making, the vanilla sponge gives way to the caramelised apples, enhanced by the Salted Caramel Icing and chewy fudge pieces.
Look out for National Cupcake Week part 2 later this week.
I was provided with the cupcake corer and icing spatula by OXO Good Grips and the Flavoured Icing Sugar by Sugar and Crumbs. I was not paid for this review and all opinions are my own.