Easy Strawberry Sponge Cake Dessert is a simple butter sponge cake soaked with sweet strawberry juice and topped with strawberries. Serve it with cream, ice cream, yogurt or creme fraiche.
What kind of strawberries should I use?
You can use any strawberries. However, this recipe is ideal for out of season strawberries which need a little help to be really delicious. I would also make this dessert when I have strawberries that are a little past their best and need to be used immediately.
What sort of cake is used in the Strawberry Sponge Cake Dessert?
The sponge cake is a simple butter sponge or Victoria sponge. I make one sponge cake for this dessert. You could make two and top the other with buttercream for tea time, or freeze it for later.
How to make Easy Strawberry Sponge Cake Dessert
Make the Sponge
Make the Strawberry Topping
Put the strawberries and sugar with a tablespoon of water into a saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves and the juices start to run from the strawberries. The strawberries should still be firm and not softened and cooked.
Place the strawberries aside to cool and for the juices to gather at the bottom of the bowl.
Assembling the Easy Strawberry Sponge Cake Dessert
Place the cooled sponge in a pie plate or plate with a lip. This is really important because there is a lot of juice and you want to make sure it stays on the plate.
Lift the strawberries into a separate dish with a slotted spoon. Spoon the remaining juices evenly over the sponge.
Carefully arrange the strawberries over the sponge, then chill in the fridge until ready to use.
Take the Strawberry Cake out of the fridge about 15 minutes before serving. Serve with cream, Greek yogurt, ice cream or Creme Fraiche.
More Strawberry Desserts from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Crisp on the outside and marshmallow in the middle this is a Sensational Strawberry Pavlova
Strawberry Tarts – simple puff pastry tart cases with a big juicy strawberry in each one.
Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwich – strawberries and strawberry ice cream sandwiched between two shortbread cookies.
PIN FOR LATER
Are we connected?
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Strawberry Sponge Cake Dessert
- 60 g butter
- 60 g caster sugar
- 75 g self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 egg
- 400 g strawberries hulled
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
For the Cake
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg and beat it into the creamed mixture.
- Bake the cake at 170 C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes then remove to a cooling rack, leave to cool.
For the strawberries
- While the cake is baking put the strawberries in a pan with the sugar and water. Heat slowly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer very gently until the juices just start to run but the berries were not too soft. Set them aside to cool.
- Once cool, gently lift the strawberries into a bowl.
- Put the cooled sponge cake into a dish with a lip (to catch the juice) use a spoon to soak the sponge cake with the strawberry juice.
- Arrange the strawberries on top of the cake and chill.