Tomatoes are ripe and delicious just now, grow them yourself or buy them, you can showcase this brilliant fruit in a simple Tomato Salad with Basil and Garlic in a jar?
I used a jar because the shape ensures that all the chopped tomatoes are submerged in the oil and can absorb the flavours of the basil and garlic.
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- Approx 150ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Dice the tomatoes, removing the core
- Finely slice the garlic
- Tear the basil leaves to release the oils
- Layer the tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt and sugar in a glass or jar
- Slowly fill the jar with olive oil
- Cover with cling film and leave at least 2 hours or overnight for the flavours to infuse
- Serve the tomatoes with salad, the juices can be used as the dressing as the acidity of the tomatoes mixes with the oil and seasoning.
- You can use the tomatoes for bruschetta, served on toasted/griddled bread which has been rubbed with garlic. Make sure you drain the tomatoes well or your bread will go soggy.
Garden Tomato Salad with Olives, Greek Basil and Sumac from Family Friends Food
Tomato, Red Onion and Coriander Salad from Fab Food 4 All
And speaking of salads and jars, here is a little jar magic from Kavey Eats, who inspired me to write some short recipe posts. Read Travel Quote Tuesday at KaveyEats.com for great quotes and beautiful photographs.
Lemon Cucumbers and Jam Jar Salad Dressing from Kavey Eats
Quinoa and Spicy Red Cabbage Salad in a Jar from Simply Food
HOW DO YOU LIKE TO SERVE YOUR TOMATO SALAD?