Roast Vegetable Crumble Bake is just the kind of comfort food you want to come home to on a cold day. The roasted vegetables are covered in a tasty sauce and topped with a crunchy crumble topping, prepare ahead then just pop the casserole in the oven.
This recipe for Roast Vegetable Crumble Bake combines the intensified taste of roasted butternut squash, carrots, mushrooms, and fresh root ginger. These vegetables are covered with a creamy sauce, then topped with a crunchy crumble topping.
Butternut squash is a really versatile squash. It has a touch skin so be careful when you are cutting it open.
Scoop out the seeds, cut off the hard skin and cut into chunks abut 3 cm square (ish).
Carrots are a staple root vegetable, they add a lovely sweetness to soups and stews. Roast carrots for an even more intense flavour.
Use any mushrooms you like. Closed cap mushrooms are the most common but it is now easier to get Chestnut mushrooms, Supermarkets often have boxes of mixed mushrooms which is nice to try for a change.
Add the mushrooms to the roasting pan right at the end of the roasting. Roasting the mushrooms intensifies the flavour, however, it also means that there is less liquid from the mushrooms released into the sauce because it evaporates off.
Fresh root ginger has a lovely fresh and zingy flavour and it works really well with roasted roots and squashes. If you don’t like ginger then simply leave it out, the recipe works both with and without ginger.
Can I freeze the Roast Vegetable Crumble Bake?
Yes, you can freeze the finished crumble once you have assembled it. Before eating defrost thoroughly in the refrigerator, then bake in the oven at 170C for 40-45 minutes.
More Butternut Squash Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Butternut Squash Meat-Free Loaf is a great alternative to meatloaf, packed with beans, quinoa, vegetables, and cheese, it also freezes well so this recipe makes enough for two loaves.
You are not going to believe how good this Chorizo Butternut Squash Macaroni Cheese tastes, it’s the best mac n cheese I’ve ever eaten!
Carrot Ginger and Butternut Squash Soup is really easy to make, it is warming and really fills you up.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- Slow Cooked Beef and Butternut Squash – Fab Food 4 All
- Mushroom Pasta with Butternut Squash and Sage – Veggie Desserts
- Butternut, Red Pepper & Potato Puff Pastry Plait – Tinned Tomatoes
PIN FOR LATER
Let’s Get Social!
Roast Vegetable Crumble Bake
For the filling
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 6 carrots
- 1 onion
- large piece of root ginger
- 400 g mushrooms
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 25 g butter
For the Crumble
- 50 g butter diced
- 100 g plain flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 50 g Parmesan grated
- 25 g flaked almonds
For the sauce
- 500 ml milk I use semi-skimmed
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
For the filling
- Peel the squash, carrots, onion and ginger, cut into chunks.
- Put the oil in a roasting tin and add the vegetables, turning in the oil.
- Place in a hot oven 180C for 30 minutes add the mushrooms then roast for another 10 minutes.
For the sauce
- Put the cornflour into a heat-proof basin.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of the cold milk.
- Blend the cornstarch into the milk using a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan until just below the boil, or heat in the microwave.
- Pour the hot milk gradually over the cornstarch mixture, stirring all the time.
- Put the mixture bake into the pan and put onto the heat, or into a large jug or bowl in the microwave.
- Bring it to the boil gently whilst stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in seasoning and mustard.
For the crumble
- Put the butter, flour and ground almonds in a bowl. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Stir in the Parmesan and flaked almonds
- Melt the butter in a pan and saute the mushrooms until they are soft and lightly browned. Add to the roasted vegetable mix.
- Put the roasted vegetables in an ovenproof dish
- Pour over the sauce
- Top with the crumble
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 170C until golden.