I’ve got a bit of a thing about roasted root veggies at the moment, and had bookmarked this Veggie Crumble recipe in the November BBC Good Food Magazine, they call it ‘Wintry Vegetable Crumble’ however mine bears only a passing resemblance as I’ve changed the veg, the sauce and the method!
1. Peel the squash, carrots, onion and ginger, cut into chunks.
2. Put the oil in a roasting tin and add the vegetables, turning in the oil.
3. Place in a hot oven 180C for 30 – 40 minutes until the vegetables are soft and browned.
4. Melt the butter in a pan and saute the mushrooms until they are soft and lightly browned. Add to the roasted veg mix.
For the sauce:
2. Add about 1 tablespoon of the cold milk.
3. Blend the cornstarch into the milk using a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
6. Put the mixture bake into the pan and put onto the heat, or into a large jug or bowl in the microwave.
Bring it to the boil gently whilst stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
7. Stir in seasoning and mustard.