Rhubarb and Ginger Smoothie Bowl
Raw rhubarb and preserved ginger combine with cashew nuts to create a delicious smoothie bowl that can be served for breakfast or as dessert.
- 250 g rhubarb finely chopped
- 2 pieces ginger preserved in syrup finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger syrup
- 100 g cashew nuts
- 1 large banana cut into chunks and frozen
- 2 tbsp dairy or non-dairy yogurt
- 100 ml dairy or non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp organic beetroot powder
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 50 g toasted flaked almonds
- 25 g toasted sesame seeds
- 3 slim stalks of rhubarb roasted with 1 tbsp of caster sugar
Place the chopped rhubarb and ginger in a bowl with the ginger syrup and leave overnight.
Place the cashew nuts in a bowl and cover with water, leave overnight, rinse before using.
Add all the ingredients and pulse until they start to break down, pushing down with a spatula if necessary, continue to blend until thick and smooth.
Pour the smoothie into two bowls or 4 glasses, leave to thicken for about 10-15 minutes.
Top with toasted almonds, sesame seeds and roasted rhubarb..
To toast the almonds and sesame seeds: heat a frying pan (no oil) to a medium-high heat and put the nuts or seeds into the pan, stir occasionally and watch carefully until they take on a little tinge of brown. To roast the rhubarb: heat the oven to 170C, chop the rhubarb into even sized pieces and place on a baking tray in a single layer. Sprinkle with the sugar and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until they still hold their shape, but are soft enough for a knife to be inserted easily. Leave to cool on the tray.