Hot Cross Bun Mug Cake
All the flavours of a Hot Cross Bun in a super speedy, microwave mug cake
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook Time 3 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
- 15 g butter
- 1/2 medium egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp mixed dried fruit the kind with mixed peel in it
- 3 tbsp self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
Put the butter into a large mug and microwave for 20 - 30 seconds
Add the egg, milk and sugar and whisk to combine
Add the mixed spice, flour and salt and mix until the batter is smooth
Add the mixed dried fruit and orange zest and mix into the batter
Microwave the mug cake for 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes 30 seconds, depending on the rating of your microwave.
While you leave the cake to cool slightly, make a cross with two strips of foil or paper, lay these over the mug and using a sieve or tea strainer to dust the top of the mug with cocoa. Remove the strips of foil or paper and you will reveal your cross.
- When microwaving your mug cake, start with 1 minute 30 seconds, then if still wet on top cook for a further 20 seconds at a time until it is just firm on top.
- Try not to overcook or your cake may be dry.
- You can make any shape for the top of your Hot Cross Bun, the cross is traditional but if you have other stencils or shapes, you can use those, a heart would be fun.
- Or simply dust all of the bun with cocoa or as an alternative to cocoa you could use cinnamon
Calories: 411kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 118mg | Potassium: 201mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 7.5% | Calcium: 6.5% | Iron: 5.5%