Find more recipes at farmersgirlkitchen.co.uk
Chunky slabs of rich, dark, spiced gingerbread made moist with grated carrots.
- 200 g/7 oz/scant 1 cup unsalted butter plus extra for greasing
- 200 g/7 oz scant 1 cup light soft brown sugar
- 200 g/7 oz/2/3 cup black treacle molasses
- 375 g/13 oz /3 cups plain all purpose flour
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda baking soda
- 250 ml/ 8 1/2 fl oz/1 cup whole milk
- 150 g/5 1/4 oz 1 1/2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 large free-range eggs beaten
- 3 pieces of stem ginger in syrup chopped
Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/320F/gas 2.
Grease and line a 23 x 30mm/9 x 12 in baking pan with baking parchment.
Heat the butter, sugar and treacle in a pan, stirring until smooth and melted. Leave to cool slightly.
Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
Stir in the milk, carrot, beaten egg, stem ginger and treacle mixture an stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour until well risen and springy in the middle.
Calories: 410kcalCarbohydrates: 76gProtein: 7gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 528mgPotassium: 1658mgFiber: 13gSugar: 39gVitamin A: 76725IUVitamin C: 27mgCalcium: 193mgIron: 2.8mg