Apple Cinnamon Scone Cobbler
Soft sweet apples topped by a filling cinnamon flavoured cobbler scone dough.
For the filling
- 6-8 small apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp water
For the topping
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 4 Tablespoons soft brown sugar - you may need more if your apples are tart
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons butter - cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 6 Tablespoons of plain yogurt or milk
- 1 apple - peeled cored and chopped into a fine dice
- A little sifted icing sugar to finish
Place the sliced apples, sugar and water in an ovenproof dish and cover with a lid or foil and place in the oven at 160C for about 20 minutes until the apples are softened but not disintegrating.
Put all the dry ingredients into the bowl, use a knife to cut in the butter, then rub in with your fingers.
Beat the egg and yogurt or milk together in a small bowl.
Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix until only just combined, do not over mix or the scone will become tough.
Remove the cooked apples from the oven and place large spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the apples.
Increase the oven temperature to 200C/400F and bake for 15-20 minutes. The scones take only 12-15 minutes but I found that the depth of the topping meant it needed a little extra time.
Calories: 349kcalCarbohydrates: 63gProtein: 5gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 90mgPotassium: 416mgFiber: 6gSugar: 35gVitamin A: 405IUVitamin C: 9.7mgCalcium: 97mgIron: 1.7mg
CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE NOW to join my newsletter list & receive a FREE 'How To Adapt Recipes For Your Slow Cooker’ printable!