Haricot Beans baked Boston Style
Here is my version which doesn’t take six to eight hours!
250g haricot beans
150g bacon pieces
1 onion, sliced
2 tbsp treacle
salt and pepper
1. Soak the beans overnight in cold water, drain, cover with fresh water and simmer for about an hour until they have started to soften.
2. Heat an ovenproof casserole to a medium heat and add the bacon pieces, cooking until browned
3. Turn down the heat and add the onion, cook gently until softened.
4. Add the beans, treacle and enough boiling water to cover.
5. Cook at 150C for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure there is still some liquid left, top up if necessary.
6. Season before serving
Menu for Wednesday
(36 eggs every four weeks) 9
eggs for one week