Easy Chocolate Lime Ice Cream uses ready-made Lime Curd for a quick and easy homemade ice cream that tastes just like the Chocolate Lime sweets (candies) from childhood.
When the temperatures rise there is nothing so refreshing as a cooling ice cream and homemade ice cream tastes so much better than anything you can buy.
What is Lime Curd?
In the world of preserves curd is a cooked mixutre of eggs, sugar and butter with a fruit flavouring. Lime Curd uses lime juice and zest to create the lime flavour.
Can I use lemon curd?
Can I buy lime curd?
Yes, although it is not as easily available as lemon curd. I use Mackays Lime Curd but other producers also make lime curd.
Can I make the ice cream without an ice cream maker?
Yes, you absolutely can! The high sugar content in the curd means that it doesn’t form ice crystals, so it can be frozen in a shallow container. I have given instructions in the recipe card for making the ice cream without an ice cream churn.
How to make Chocolate Lime Ice Cream
All quantities and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page
You will need:
- Double (Heavy) Cream
- Lime Curd
- Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 lime
Whip the cream
Whip the cream until it is floppy
Fold in the Lime Curd
Add the lime curd, lime zest and juice and fold gently into the cream.
To make in an ice cream maker
- Place the cream mixture into the ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. It should take about 20 minutes to become firm.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and put it into a shallow box.
To make without an ice cream maker
- Put the mixture into a shallow box and freeze for two hours
- Break up the ice cream with a fork and mix in the chocolate chips
- Return to the freezer and freeze overnight
Serve the Chocolate Lime Ice Cream straight from the ice cream maker in bowls or in cones.
To serve from the freezer
To serve from the freezer remove the box from the freezer and leave to thaw slightly for 10-15 minutes because homemade ice cream sets firm and will be difficult to scoop direct from the freezer.
Chocolate Lime ice cream is very creamy and the sharp lime flavour from the Lime Curd cuts through the richness. And the little nuggets of dark chocolate really do make it taste like those Chocolate Lime sweets.
More Ice Cream Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwich combines buttery shortbread biscuits with fresh strawberries and strawberry ice cream.
Homemade Caramel Apple Ice Cream brings together the special combination of apples and caramel and tastes like the caramel apples from Halloween.
Easy White Chocolate Eton Mess Ice Cream brings together the traditional ingredients of Eton Mess, strawberries, cream and pieces of crisp meringue with the added creamy sweetness of white chocolate.
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Roasted Rhubarb Ice Cream – Curly’s Cooking
- Mango Coconut Ice Cream – Feast Glorious Feast
- Limoncello Ice Cream – Lost in Food
Let’s get social!
Chocolate Lime Ice Cream
- 300 ml double cream
- 340 g Lime Curd
- 1/2 lime zest and juice
- 100 g chocolate chips
- Whip the cream until it is floppy, add the lime curd, zest and juice.
- Fold in the lime curd, zest and, juice
With an Ice Cream Churn
- Churn in the ice cream machine until firm.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and use a spatula to put the ice cream into a container.
- Serve straight away or put the container in the freezer for later.
Without an Ice Cream Churn
- Spoon the cream mixture in a shallow container and freeze for a couple of hours before breaking up with a fork.
- Fold in the chocolate chips then freeze overnight.
- Remove the container from the freezer for 15 minutes before serving. Homemade ice cream sets very firm so needs to thaw a little before serving.