Everyone loves cupcakes, right? I certainly can never resist them and homemade is always best. These Mon Cherry Amour Cupcakes are ideal for Valentine’s Day or any celebration or simply to give yourself a little boost. I love how the bright red of the cherries contrasts with the cool creamy buttercream and the sprinkling of green pistachio nuts.
Mon Cherry Amour Cupcakes come from Le Cookie
York and at branches of Harvey Nichols in major cities in the UK. In this collection, Michael shares more than 25 recipes for cookies as well as deliciously different macarons, whoopie pies, brownies and cupcakes in this sweet little book.
Le Cookie: Delicious sweet treats designed in Paris, baked in New York by Michael Benichou. Photography by Steve Painter
There are five chapters in this little book each illustrated with a beautifully styled photograph of the cookie or cake.
The chapter starts with ‘Le Cookie’,the original and most traditional of the cookie recipes, these are definitely on my list of makes. It also includes Orange Crush Cookies, Praline Chic Cookies; Tres Yummy Cookies and Rebel Rose Cookies.
There are six recipes in this chapter starting with Bonjour Brownies, Sugar and Spice Brownies with cardamom and milk chocolate (mmmm!), The Supreme which combines brownie with orange and zest and a sticky Bailey’s syrup, Coffee Lover’s Brownies (might make these for my husband’s next birthday), the Bijou Blondies contain extra virgin olive oil and white chocolate, and finally Crackling Brownie French Fries containing popping candy, cut into fingers and dipped in chocolate hazelnut spread.
chocolate and mint.
Who is it for?
- Great photographs mean that you know what you are aiming to achieve.
- Once you have mastered the basic technique for each bake, then you will find the variations are easy to achieve and might be inspired to make your own unusual combinations.
- I learned a new way of making cupcake batter, I’ve never had a recipe which you leave in the fridge overnight, but it works!
- There are only 27 recipes in this book.
- I really didn’t like the way that the basic recipe, in my case for the cupcake was only written out once and as it wasn’t included in the My Cherry Amour page, I had to keep flipping back and forward. I thought that was poor and expect each recipe to include all instructions on one page.
Ease of use
- The book includes both US and Metric measurements
- The quantities in the recipe I made were accurate to create the number
of cakes stated
- As I said in the Cons, the flipping back and forth was a nuisance.
Mon Cherry Amour Cupcakes would make a pretty addition to an afternoon tea.
Mon Cherry Amour Cup Cakes
Vanilla Cupcake Mixture
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 3 eggs
- 15 g/1cup icing/confectioners' sugar
- 150 g/1 cup plus 2 tbsp plain/all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150 g/1 stick plus 3 tbsp butter melted
- 50 g/ 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios plus extra to decorate
- 12 glace/candied cherries
- 180 g/ 2 1/4 cups icing/confectioners sugar
- 50 ml/ 3 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp pistachio paste*
- 1 tablespoon Kirsch cherry liqueur
- green food colouring optional
- cupcake pan lined with 12 cupcake cases
- piping bag fitted with a star-shaped nozzle tip
- To make the Vanilla Cupcake Mixture, START THE DAY BEFORE you want to bake the cupcakes.
- Split the vanilla bean length ways and scrape the seeds out into a bowl. Add the eggs and sugar and beat with an electric whisk until tripled in volume and the beaters leave a thick ribbon trail when you lift them out of the mixture.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and whisk lightly. Add the melted butter and fold in gently with a large metal spoon.Fold in the chopped pistachios. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- To make the pistachio buttercream put the butter sugar, milk, vanilla extract pistachio paste and Kirsch in a bowl and beat with an electric whisk or by hand with a wooden spoon until you get a light fluffy texture. Stir in drops of the food colouring until you get the desired shade of pistachio green, if you like.
- Fill the piping bag with the buttercream and pipe on top of the cold cupcakes. Balance a glace/candied cherry on top and sprinkle extra chopped pistachios around the edge.
- *To make your own pistachio paste, roast 125g/1 cup pistachios on a baking sheet in a a preheated oven at 160C (325F) Gas 3 for 10 minutes, taking care not to let them burn. Transfer to a bowl. Put 175ml/ 2/3 cup water and 60g/ 1/3 caster sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. When the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is boiling, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Carefully pour this syrup into a food processor with the roasted pistachios and 30g/ 1/3 cup ground almonds and pulse until you get a smooth paste.
PIN FOR LATER
The Mon Cherry Amour Cupcakes look very luxurious, taste delicious and would be perfect for a Valentine’s Day treat.
Popular Online retailer £6.89. I was supplied with a copy of Le Cookie to review, I was not expected to give a positive review and all opinions expressed are my own.