Spring bring lovely fresh green vegetables, one of which is spinach, it always seems to be a sort of magical leaf the way it fills the pan and then a few minutes later it has reduced to damp, dark green blob in the bottom of the pan! Mushrooms do a similar thing but not quite so dramatically!
Spinach and Mushroom and Blue Cheese Lasagne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 180 g pack spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 300 g lasagne sheets
- 600 ml milk
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 100 g Castello Danish Blue Extra Creamy
- 100 g mature cheddar
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp of olive in a large pan, add half the garlic and spinach leaves and stir fry for 1-2 minutes until the leaves have wilted. Remove from the heat, season well and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, add the mushrooms and cook over a high heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are browned. Stir in the remaining garlic. Mix in the tin of tomatoes and heat for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
- Make the white sauce, take two tablespoons of the milk and mix to a paste with the cornflour. Heat the rest of the milk until just below boiling point and add to the cornflour mix, then heat stirring all the time until thick and glossy, cook for 5 minutes to cook out the starch. Season well.
- Place a layer of lasagne in the base of your dish. Top with half the spinach, then half the mushroom mix, then add another layer of lasagne. Spoon over a third of the white sauce and sprinkle over half the blue cheese.
- 5. Repeat the layers. Place a final layer of lasagne on top and spread over the remaining white sauce and top with the cheddar cheese.
- 6. Place on a baking tray and bake for 40 minutes or until the lasagne is tender and top golden. Serve with a green salad.
This was a really tasty dish, I love blue cheese and the sharp bite of the Danish Blue was a great foil to the mild mushroom flavour and the deep earthy taste of the spinach.
I’m entering this for blog challenge ‘Extra Veg’ hosted this month by Shaheen at Allotment to Kitchen . Its blog challenge created by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Michelle of Utterly Scrummy. The theme this month is Savoury Vegetarian which fits my Spinach, Mushroom and Blue Cheese Lasagne perfectly.
Thanks to Castello for the Danish Blue Extra Creamy Cheese.