There is something so very comforting about a Sausage Casserole. This Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Casserole is a warming bowl of spicy sausages and creamy beans which is even better when you put it all in the Slow Cooker in the morning and it’s ready for you to eat at supper time. You could make it without soured cream, but it really adds amazing richness to what would otherwise by a fairly ordinary plate of sausages and beans!
Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Casserole
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 12 Italian-style sausages
- 1 400 g can of tomatoes
- 250 g dried cannelini beans
- 250 g dried pinto beans
- 1 tsp sweet paprika pimenton
- 1 red pepper
- 100 g chopped kale
- 400 ml hot chicken stock
- 200 ml soured cream
- 50 g fresh coriander leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- oak the beans in water overnight
- Brown the sausages in a pan or in the oven, so the skins start to turn golden but remove before the sausages are cooked and put in a dish.
- Soften the onion and red pepper in the oils left from the sausages.
- Drain the beans and place in the base of the slow cooker (crockpot)
- Add the onions and pepper, tomatoes, stock and pimenton and mix through.
- Place the sausages on top of the beans, put on the lid and cook on Low for 7 hours 30 minutes
- Add the kale, replace the lid and cook on High for 30 minutes
- Just before serving stir 100ml of soured cream through the beans.
- Serve each portion with a spoonful of soured cream and a sprinkling of fresh coriander.
This Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Casserole is my entry for the Slow Cooked Challenge, the monthly Linky for all things cooked slowly that I share with Lucy at Baking Queen 74. Lucy is hosting this month, make sure you pop over to the Slow Cooked Challenge for October and you will find lots of lovely warming recipes.
I’m also adding this recipe to Inheritance Recipes run by Coffee ‘n Vanilla and Pebble Soup this isn’t a recipe from my past, but I think it may be one to pass on to future generations, it is so simple and perfect comfort food, which is the theme October’s Inheritance Recipes Challenge.
More Sausage Recipes
Cider, Apple and Sausage Casserole – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Honey and Mustard Sausage Traybake – Hungry, Healthy, Happy
Quick and Easy Sausages – 3 ways – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait – Fab Food 4 All