This Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Casserole is a warming bowl of spicy sausages and creamy beans. It’s even better when you put it all in the Slow Cooker in the morning and it’s ready for you to eat at supper time.
How to make Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Casserole
There is something so very comforting about a Sausage Casserole. and this recipe is so simple to make.
- Soak the dried beans overnight.
- Brown the sausages in a frying pan.
- Turn the heat down and saute the onion and pepper for a few minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients and slow cook on Low for 7 1/2 hours.
- Add the kale and cook for another 30 minutes (optional)
Before serving, add the soured cream and sprinkle with chopped parsley. You can serve it without the cream, but it really adds amazing richness to what would otherwise by a fairly ordinary plate of sausages and beans.
Slow Cooked Challenge
This Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Casserole is my entry for the Slow Cooked Challenge, the monthly linky for all things cooked slowly that I share with Lucy at Baking Queen 74. Lucy is hosting this month, make sure you pop over to the Slow Cooked Challenge for October and you will find lots of lovely warming recipes.
I’m also adding this recipe to Inheritance Recipes run by Coffee ‘n Vanilla and Pebble Soup this isn’t a recipe from my past, but I think it may be one to pass on to future generations, it is so simple and perfect comfort food, which is the theme October’s Inheritance Recipes Challenge.
More Sausage Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
More Sausage Recipes
Easy One-Pot Sausage Casserole – Easy Peasy Foodie
Honey and Mustard Sausage Traybake – Hungry, Healthy, Happy
Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait – Fab Food 4 All
PIN FOR LATER
Let’s get social!
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Slow Cooker Italian Sausage Casserole
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 12 Italian-style sausages
- 1 400 g can of tomatoes
- 250 g dried cannelini beans
- 250 g dried pinto beans
- 1 tsp sweet paprika pimenton
- 1 red pepper
- 100 g chopped kale
- 400 ml hot chicken stock
- 200 ml soured cream
- 50 g fresh coriander leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Soak the beans in water overnight
- Brown the sausages in a pan or in the oven, so the skins start to turn golden but remove before the sausages are cooked and put in a dish.
- Soften the onion and red pepper in the oils left from the sausages.
- Drain the beans and place in the base of the slow cooker (crockpot)
- Add the onions and pepper, tomatoes, stock and pimenton and mix through.
- Place the sausages on top of the beans, put on the lid and cook on Low for 7 hours 30 minutes
- Add the kale, replace the lid and cook on High for 30 minutes
- Just before serving stir 100ml of soured cream through the beans.
- Serve each portion with a spoonful of soured cream and a sprinkling of fresh coriander.