I absolutely adore gingerbread and these Mini Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze are just so cute! I made them in a mini bundt pan but you can make them in a muffin tin and you will still get the rich and sticky gingerbread with a sweet lemon glaze decorated with pieces of crystallised ginger. They just scream Christmas!
Although the mini gingerbread would be perfect to serve at Christmas you can make them at any time. They look really impressive baked in the mini bundt pan and would sell well at bake sales. I think they also make a really delicious dessert, serve them warm from the oven, without the glaze, with some pouring cream or custard.
Here is how I made the Mini Gingerbread Cakes
It’s a simple recipe where you add the melted ingredients to the dry ingredients, then add an egg. Be careful to let the melted mixture cool a little before adding the egg or it will scramble!
Melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup, black treacle and milk in a medium saucepan.
Weigh out the flour, raising agent and spices
Add the melted mixture to the dry ingredients, followed by the beaten egg and mix together until you have a sticky batter.
Fill the cake pan or muffin pan with the gingerbread batter
Completely cool the baked Mini Gingerbread or Muffins on a wire rack
Drizzle the Mini Gingerbread with the lemon glaze and decorate with crystallised ginger pieces
Mini Gingerbread with Lemon Glaze
For the Gingerbread Cakelettes
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 75 g butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 75 ml milk
- 75 g muscovado sugar
- 1 egg beaten
For the Lemon Glaze
- 100 g Icing Sugar sifted
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Crystallised Ginger pieces
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4.
- Grease the pan with a little butter or oil
- Place the butter, sugar, golden syrup, black treacle and milk into a medium saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved, remove from the heat and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Sieve the flour, the bicarbonate of soda, spices and salt into a medium sized baking bowl.
- Pour the butter, sugar and syrup mixture onto the flour and spice mixture, followed by the beaten egg.
- Mix well to make a thick, sticky batter and divide evenly between the 6 cups in the pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, leave in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl, add the zest of half a lemon and two tbsp. of lemon juice, mix until smooth.
- Using a spoon generously drizzle the lemon glaze over the Mini Gingerbread cakes and decorate with small pieces of crystallised ginger. Leave to set.
More Ginger Recipes
Chocolate Gingerbread Cupcakes – Farmersgirl Kitchen