This cake was created as a result of a glut of rhubarb and those peaches you buy to ripen at home and then they all ripen at once and you have to use them quickly before they get over-ripe! Peach and Rhubarb Upside Down Cake is really moist and the perfect ‘pudding cake’, it can be eaten as warm or cold as a dessert with cream, yogurt, custard or ice-cream. It is also just as nice as a slice of cake with a cup of tea or coffee.
Peach and Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
4 peaches or nectarines
1 large or two medium stalks of rhubarb, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
125g soft brown sugar
125g softened butter
125g soft brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
125g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the topping
- Melt the butter and mix with the soft brown sugar. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and spread the butter and sugar mixture in the base of the tin.
- Skin the peaches by placing in a bowl and covering with boiling water, leave for 2 minutes, then lift them out and the skin should slip off easily. Slice the peaches into even slices and place on the sugar mixture in a pleasing pattern.
- Cover the peaches with the thinly sliced rhubarb.
For the cake
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and beat well with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes until well blended.
- Spoon the mixture over the peaches and rhubarb and smooth the top.
- Bake at 190C/170C fan for 25 minutes or test with a skewer, the cake is done when the skewer, when placed into the centre of the cake, comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then remove from the tin and either serve warm or cool on a cooling rack.
PIN FOR LATER
As it is the season for peaches, here are a few more ideas for cooking, baking and preserving them:
Peach Coffee Cake – Little Sunny Kitchen
Cinnamon Peach and Ice Cream Waffles – Made With Pink
Peach and White Chocolate Cake – Tin and Thyme
Peach, Marzipan and Amaretto Crumble – Casa Costello
Peach and Apricot Jam – Fab Food 4 All
Peach and Ginger Compote – Natural Kitchen Adventures
Peach Upside Down Cake – Jen’s Food
I’m adding this Peach and Rhubarb Upside Down Cake to the Midsummer Madness themed Love Cake Linky run at JibberJabber UK