Autumn is the season for beautiful, fresh and ripe figs and this Quick and Easy Fig, Honey and Almond Tart is an ideal simple and delicious way to serve them.
It’s so simple to combine seasonal fruits with ready rolled puff pastry, honey and almonds to make this tart. Quick and Easy Fig, Honey and Almond Tart works with any kind of fruit not just figs. Apples, peaches, apricots or plums would be delicious and if you have been foraging for blackberries you could combine these with any of the other fruits for a bit of contrast.
- 1 packet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp runny honey (for the meringue)
- 75 g ground almonds
- 4 fresh figs
- 50 g blackberries (optional)
- 2 tbsp honey (for the drizzle)
- 20 g flaked almonds or pecans
- 100 g honey on the comb, cut into small pieces
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and unroll the puff pastry onto the lined baking sheet
- Take a small sharp knife and run a line all around the pastry, 2 cm from the edge, don't cut all the way through, just mark the pastry.
- Separate the egg
- Brush the edge of the pastry with the egg yolk and sprinkle over the granulated sugar
- Whisk the egg white until light and frothy, then beat in the honey and stir in the ground almonds.
- Spread the meringue mixture onto the pastry inside the marked line.
- Slice the figs and lay out onto the meringue, intersperse with blackberries if using.
- Drizzle the 2 tbsp honey over the figs and blackberries.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before scattering with the flaked almonds or pecans and pieces of honey on the comb.
- Serve warm or cold with creme fraiche
This recipe for Quick and Easy Fig, Honey and Almond Tart really evolved because we were given a gift of a jar of honey with a piece of the honey on the comb inside. I wanted to make something worthy of such a delicious gift and have been keeping it until inspiration struck!
I learned recently that many people in the UK are able to grow figs in their gardens, sadly in my part of Scotland, I’m not able to grow figs in my garden. However at this time of year, they are widely available in the supermarket and I had added some to my basket without any real plan to use them.
Ready rolled puff pastry is something I always keep in the freezer, it doesn’t take long to thaw and you can knock out a great sweet or savoury tart in no time at all.
You may have noticed that the Quick and Easy Fig, Honey and Almond Tart also contains pecan nuts, that’s only because I discovered too late that I had finished the flaked almonds!
The pecans worked really well adding a deeper nut flavour than the almonds. Walnuts or hazelnuts would also work, really whatever you have in your larder.
The finished tart was light and crisp and not too sweet, it was great as a dessert with creme fraiche and we also enjoyed it cold with a cup of coffee as a sweet pastry treat.
WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE FRUIT TART?