This Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie is just perfect for those cooler days. Making the Pot Pie in the Slow Cooker means it is really convenient and packed with flavour.
About Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie has been a favourite comfort food for me since my Mum brought back the recipe from the States. All our family loves it and I’m sure yours will too.
This retro recipe goes back to the days when people either didn’t have ovens or didn’t have reliable ovens. The Pot Pie would cook in a pot directly over the fire, using the steam from the pot to ‘bake’ the biscuits on top.
According to my ‘American Cooking’ book, the recipe is actually British. It crossed the pond and, like the Apple Pie, it has become an all American classic.
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie is a really simple recipe to make in your slow cooker, follow these simple steps for a delicious one-pot dinner.
All quantities and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page
Make the sauce
- Make a bechamel sauce, or use the sauce recipe I use for my Low Calorie Fish Pie, and add it to the slow cooker.
- Add frozen peas and frozen sweetcorn, chopped onion, and chopped carrot.
Add the chicken breasts
- Place the whole chicken breasts on top of the sauce and vegetables.
- Remove the chicken from the pot 40 minutes before you want to eat.
- Shred the chicken and add it back into the pot with the parsley.
Make the biscuits
- Follow the recipe to make the US-style biscuits and place them on top of the shredded chicken and vegetables in sauce.
- Put the lid back on the slow cooker and cook for 30 minutes on HIGH
How do I serve Chicken Pot Pie?
Serve the Chicken Pot Pie with a green vegetable like broccoli. The chicken will be sweet and tender and the sauce will be full of flavour from the chicken and vegetables. The biscuits should be soft and light and ideal to soak up the delicious sauce.
More Slow Cooker Comfort Food from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Learn the 6 Secrets of the Best Crockpot Beef Stew and Dumplings, rich and tasty with fluffy dumplings on top.
This Slow Cooker Risotto is not made in the traditional way. A slow cooker means you don’t have to stand over a pan stirring
Slow Cooker Ras el Hanout combines shoulder of lamb with chopped tomatoes, garlic, and Ras El Hanout in this easy spicy stew.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- 600 g chicken breasts or thighs skinless
- 500 g potatoes diced (I used Maris Piper)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 150 g frozen peas
- 150 g frozen sweetcorn
- 60 g fresh parsley leaves chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 50 g butter
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 50 g flour
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence or other mixed herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Biscuits
- 200 g plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60 g butter cubed
- 60 g margarine or lard
- 160 ml milk
First make the sauce
- Melt the butter and add the garlic, cook for a couple of minutes until it is golden brown. Add the flour and cook out for a couple of minutes until it has formed a paste and is starting to brown.
- Take the pan off the heat and slowly add the stock, stirring all the time until the sauce starts to thicken, then add the herbs and season to taste.
- Season the chicken and add to the slow cooker, then add the vegetables, pour over the sauce and add the bay leaves.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1-2 hours.
For the biscuits
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix together
- Add the butter and margarine or lard
- Rub the butter and margarine or lard into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs
40 minutes before you want to eat
- Remove the chicken and shred, return to the pan with most of the chopped parsley, retaining a teaspoonful for garnish
- Mix the milk into the biscuit mixture and bring together into a ball
- Pat down the dough, then dip a scone/biscuit cutter in flour
- Cut as many biscuits as you can, reforming the dough and patting flat again
- Place the biscuits on top of the shredded chicken and sauce and place some sheets of kitchen paper between the lid and the slow cooker bowl.
- Cook on High for 30 minutes or until the scones are risen
- Garnish with the remaining parsley
- Serve with green vegetables
I made my biscuits quite large, I would probably make them a bit smaller in future.Adapted from American Cooking – Bay Books
Visit the Slow Cooked Challenge Pinterest Board for many more Slow Cooker recipes.