This month we are rifling through our magazine cuttings for Random Recipes, the challenge run by Dominic at Belleau Kitchen. I have all but given up buying magazines as I can find recipes on the internet with so much more ease.
However, a couple of weeks ago I had a little time to kill in the supermarket and so was drawn to browse through the cooking magazines. Eat in is a new magazine for me and I was drawn to the Comfort Food on a Budget. This mag has been sitting around on the dining room table, so I picked it up and it opened at this Speedy Beef and Vegetable Pie.
More Pies from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Easy Cheesy Vegetable Lattice Pie
Try my Grandfather’s recipe for a Scottish Mince Beef Pie just as he sold it in his butcher’s shop.
Monday Pie – Fab Food 4 All
Vegetarian Chickpea, Feta and Butternut Squash Pie with Filo – Fuss Free Flavours
Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Mash – Eats Amazing
Speedy Beef and Vegetable Pie
- 1 tbsp veg or olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 500 g beef mince
- 500 g frozen mixed vegetables I didn’t have any so used diced carrots
- 25 g onion gravy powder didn’t have any of that either, substitute tbsp flour and beef stock cube
- 320 g sheet puff pastry
- Milk for brushing I used a beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/ Gas 7. Grease a 20cm square ovenproof dish (more deviation from me!). Heat the oil in a saucepan over a high heat. Saute the onion for 3 minutes or until softened. Add the mince and cook for 3 minutes or until browned.
- Add the vegetables, gravy powder and 125mil hot water. (If using flour add a tbsp of flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes to cook out the starch, crumble in the stock cube then add the water.) Cook stirring for 3 minutes or until the sauce is thick. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and set aside to cool for at least 5 minutes but longer if you can.
- Place the pastry sheet over the mince to cover. Tuck the overhanging pastry inwards to form a border around the inside edge of the dish. Score the top of the pastry with a sharp knife. Brush with milk. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned.