This Spiced Apple and Ginger Cake couldn’t be more simple to make, you put all the ingredients into a bowl, mix and bake you don’t even need a mixer, just a wooden spoon! It’s a perfect tea time treat.
My ‘Discovery’ apple tree is 5 years old and this year, for the first time, I had a large enough crop to start developing different ways to use the apples. We all love apple crumble and apple pie, however, I do like to have a nice ‘cut and come again’ cake in the cake tin to enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- grated rind of a lemon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 75 g mixed dried fruit
- 25 g chopped crystallised ginger
- 100 g soft butter or margarine
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tbsp milk
- 450g tart apples (Bramley, Discovery, Granny Smith)
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Peel, core and chop the apples
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together until thoroughly blended.
- Turn into a 20 cm greased and lined cake tin.
- Level the top and bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- The cake should be golden brown and shrinking from the sides of the tin.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then turn onto a cooling tray.
- Serve warm as a dessert or cold dusted with icing sugar with a nice cup of tea!
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER
I used butter from The Softer Butter Company which is 100% butter but softer which makes it ideal for baking. It spreads really easily too and is available at Tesco or Morrisons for around £1.45 for 250 g.
This ‘Star Baker’ cake tin is perfect to store your Spiced Apple and Ginger Cake. It’s an official Love Productions ‘The Great British Bake Off’ Personalised Cake Tin, a 27 cm diameter x 13 cm high cake tin which comes with a whiteboard marker and eraser top. It’s great fun to add your name to the tin or, as I have done, then bake that you have inside. The Great British Bake Off Personalised Cake Tin is available from Debenhams for £13.00 alongside a range of other Bake Off bakeware and kitchenware.
I’m entering the Spiced Apple and Ginger Cake for Simple and in Season the recipe linky for seasonal treats run by Katie at Feeding Boys.
Spiced Apple and Ginger Cake is also my ‘Bake of the Week’ joining Helen at Casa Costello and friends in sharing our bakes.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE APPLE CAKE RECIPE?
More Apple Cake Recipes
Apple Kale Cake with Apple Icing – Veggie Desserts
Blackberry and Apple Cake – Fab Food 4 All
Traditional Dorset Apple Cake – Fuss Free Flavours
German Apple Cake – BBC Food
Toffee Apple Hazelnut Cake – Tin & Thyme