I am treating you to a delicious Slow Cooker Tamarind and Orange Chicken dish, a light, gently spiced dish that’s sure to warm you up as cooler weather and shorter days demand piping hot bowls of soup, rich and comforting stews, and bakes.
October is here and the leaves are turning yellow, red and gold. and most of all it’s time to dust off the Slow Cooker and join with me and Lucy of Baking Queen 74 for the October Slow Cooked Challenge.
Slow Cooker Tamarind and Orange Chicken was inspired by the flavours found in a recipe from Cookin’ Canuk for Grilled Chicken Thighs with Tamarind and Orange Glaze. I’ve adapted these flavours to create a simple slow cooker recipe which has the chicken falling from the bones and leaves enough sauce to soak deliciously into the Buttery Cashew Nut Couscous.
This is such a simple recipe, all you need to do is brown the chicken, mix up the sauce ingredients and put them both into the slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours. Serve with couscous studded with cashew nuts and seasoned with lemon zest.
Recipe for Slow Cooker Tamarind and Orange Chicken
Slow Cooker Tamarind and Orange Chicken
- 8 skinned chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp of garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha or other chilli sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- 15 g fresh basil leaves
For the couscous
- 30 g cashew nuts
- 180 g couscous
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 240 ml chicken stock
- 30 g butter
- Mix the stock, orange juice, zest, garlic, basil, tamarind paste, ginger, sugar and chilli sauce in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sear the chicken, place into the slow cooker.
- Pour over the sauce mix.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low.
For the couscous
- Heat a pan and dry fry the cashew nuts until golden, empty on to a plate
- Place the couscous in a pan and add the chicken stock and lemon zest, cook on low for 5 minutes until all the stock has been absorbed.
- Heat the butter in the pan until bubbling, add the couscous and stir until mixed through the grains, add half the cashews.
- Serve the chicken thighs on the couscous, pour over some of the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining cashew nuts and fresh basil leaves.
More Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
You don’t have to use a slow cooker, any slowly cooked recipe can be linked to the Slow Cooked Challenge. So when you get into an autumn mood, think slow and comforting food and join us in a celebration of all things slowly cooked.
If you would like to take part, then please:
- Make your recipe in your Slow Cooker or other slow cooking method and post a photograph and the recipe, or a link to a recipe, on your blog
- Link to Farmersgirl Kitchen and Baking Queen 74
- Use the Slow Cooked Challenge logo in your post
- If you use twitter, tweet your post with @FarmersgirlCook @BakingQueen74 and use #SlowCookedChallenge and we will re-tweet it to our followers AND post your picture on the dedicated Pinterest Board.
- A round-up of all the entries will be posted on the host’s blog.
- Please do not publish recipes from cookbooks on your blog without permission, they are copyright.
- If you are using recipes from another website, please link to the recipe on the website rather than publishing the recipe.
- One entry per blog.
- Recipes must be added to the linky by the 28th of each month and a round-up will be posted on the host blog.