If you love this tea bread as much as I do, then you might want to try some different tea loaves:
Apricot Tea Bread Recipe
A rich and fruity tea bread packed full of delicious apricots and other dried fruits and oh so easy to make.
- 350 g mixture of apricots and other dried fruit
- 225 g light or dark muscovado sugar
- 300 ml hot tea
- 275 g self-raising flour
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 large egg beaten
Cut the dried apricots into halves or quarters, I find a pair of scissors is the best way to do this, although you can use a knife.
Put the dried fruit and sugar in a bowl and pour over the hot tea. Leave it overnight to soak up the tea, but I didn't have time, so mine got 2 hours and was still pretty wet.
- Heat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2
- Line a 900g/2lb loaf tin with baking parchment or one of those clever loaf tin liners.
- Add the flour, lemon zest and beaten egg to the fruit and tea mixture and stir with a spoon till mixed through.
Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hrs or until it is well risen, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Peel of the baking paper or liner and serve sliced with or without butter.
You can use all apricots or a mixture of apricots and other dried fruits like raisins, sultanas or dried cranberries.
More Tea Bread Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen