Fennel and Orange Salad is an ideal winter salad. Fennel gives a fabulous crunch and slight aniseed flavour and blood oranges and pink grapefruit are in season and totally delicious.
Fresh Winter Salad
I like to serve a fresh and zesty salad after the rich food of the holiday season. It’s a good way to lift your mood and because I’ve packed this salad with citrus fruit, you will get a big vitamin C boost too.
I used Blood Oranges and Pink Grapefruit in the Fennel and Orange Salad. If you can’t get these, then use whichever oranges or other citrus fruit you have available.
What is Fennel?
Fennel or Florence Fennel, as it is sometimes known, is a crisp vegetable from the same family as the herb fennel. It looks a bit like a swollen head of celery. It has a mild aniseed flavour and can be eaten raw or cooked.
I successfully grew fennel in my garden in Scotland. The bulbs were not as large as those on sale in the supermarket but they tasted very good.
What are Blood Oranges?
Also known as Ruby Oranges, there is no blood in Blood Oranges. They get their name because they have a red blush to the skin and can be either completely red or red and orange inside. You can buy blood oranges in January and February. I love the sweetness and the pretty colour.
Grapefruit is a citrus fruit like oranges and lemons. It comes in different colours with yellow grapefruits being most common. Pink and red grapefruit are available and can be slightly sweeter than the yellow varieties.
What to add to make your Fennel and Orange Salad into a meal
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Flakes of cooked salmon
- Cold or hot smoked salmon
- Strips of cooked chicken
- Cubes of cooked ham
More Fresh Salads from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Radish, Asparagus and Avocado Salad includes a little fennel as well as the radish, asparagus and avocado.
You’ll find a crunch of fennel in this Chilli Fennel and Walnut Pasta Salad.
Lemon and Mint Tabbouleh Salad is packed full of flavour, you could easily add some finely sliced fennel to this salad.
Blood Orange Recipes
Brilliant Blood Orange and Pineapple Pavlovas – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Quick Blood Orange Curd with Power Blender Option – Fab Food 4 All
Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake – Something Sweet, Something Savoury
Quick and Easy Blood Orange Mini Cheesecakes – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Blood Orange Posset – Recipes Made Easy
PIN FOR LATER
Are we connected?
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Fennel and Orange Salad
For the salad
- 1 bulb Fennel finely sliced
- 1 pink grapefruit peeled and cut into segments
- 2 blood oranges peeled and cut into segments
- 1 orange pepper finely sliced
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp lime infused rapeseed oil or plain olive oil if preferred
- 1 tbsp juice saved from the citrus fruit
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- Layer the vegetables into a serving bowl, top with the citrus fruit segments add a few fennel fronds to garnish.
- Make the dressing by mixing together all the ingredients and shake in a lidded container or whisk in a bowl to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad about 30 minutes before serving. Or serve at the table. if preferred.
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Flaked cooked Salmon
- Hot or cold smoked salmon pieces
- Cooked Chicken or Ham