I can’t remember when Fish Pie became our Good Friday tradition, well that’s the thing about traditions, isn’t it? You don’t really plan them, they just grow from good ideas. Over the years I’ve made a variety of different versions and, as I am taking part in the Fish is the Dish, Healthy Happy Hearts campaign (originally posted in 2013, updated in 2019), eating two portions of fish for six weeks, it was an ideal way to get one of my fish portions.
Bake the Fish Pie with Scallops in the oven at 200C/400 F for about 15 minutes until the top is golden and crispy. Serve with a seasonal green vegetable.
More Scallop Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Recipe for Fish Pie with Scallops
Fish Pie with Scallops
- 125 g fillet of Haddock
- 125 g fillet of Salmon
- 125 g fillet of Saithe or other firm white fish
- 12 scallops
- 500 ml milk
- 2 eggs hard-boiled, shelled and sliced
- 2 tsp cornflour
- salt & pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 6 large potatoes peeled, quartered, boiled and mashed with a little milk and butter
- 50 ml milk
- 50 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Gently poach the fish in 300 ml of the milk seasoned with salt and pepper for 15 minutes..
- Peel and boil the potatoes until tender, then mash with the milk and butter.
- Boil the eggs for 10 minutes, run under cold water, then peel and slice.
- Lift out the fish and place on a plate to cool a little. Flake the fish removing any bones.
- Measure the warm milk used to poach the fish and top up to 500ml.
- Mix cornflour with a little cold milk and add the cornflour mixture to the warm milk.
- Cook until the sauce starts to thicken, season to taste.
- Place the flaked fish in an ovenproof dish add the sliced hard-boiled eggs and top with the raw scallops. As they don't take long to boiled eggs and top with the raw scallops. As they don't take long to cook its better to put them in raw and they will be cooked in the oven.
- Pour over the white sauce.
- Cover the sauce with the mashed potatoes and fork up the potato to create crispy bits.
- Place the dish on an oven tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the potato topping is golden brown and crisp on top
More Scallop Recipes
Beetroot Spaghetti with Scallops – Fuss Free Flavours
Seared Scallops with Celeriac & Bacon – Lost in Food
The fish was tender with the delicious, plump scallops adding a touch of luxury to this comforting fish dish. If you can’t get scallops try adding prawns or other shellfish.
This post was originally published in 2013 and has been updated in 2019.