Spicy Parsnip and Apple Soup is a great way to use seasonal ingredients to make a delicious, warming meal. Add some crusty bread and it will keep you going for hours.
AD – Contains Affiliate Links
As the snow is still on the ground here on the farm and it has been as cold as -17C here recently, soup is definitely the order of the day!
How to make Spicy Parsnip and Apple Soup
Roughly chop the onions. As you are going to blend them they don’t need to be finely chopped.
Peel and chop the parsnips, celery and the apple.
I didn’t peel the apple as the peel gets blended into the soup. If you have particularly clean parsnips then just wash and you don’t need to peel.
Saute the vegetables with the spices, then add the stock and cook until the parsnips are soft. This will take between 20 – 30 minutes or less if you use a pressure cooker.
Let the soup cool a little, then ladle it into the blender adding the milk or milk and cream.
Blend until smooth, adding more milk or stock if it seems too thick.
Optimum Froothie G2.3 Platinum Induction Blender
I remade this recipe for Spicy Parsnip Soup in December 2017, with these new photographs.
I got the best creamy texture with the Optimum Froothie G2.3 Induction Blender. It makes short work of blending soups and smoothies and they come out silky smooth with no grainy texture.
Read more about the Optimum Froothie G2.3 Platinum Induction Blender and check out the latest sale prices for G2.3 Blender if you order through my affiliate link, I earn a small amount of commission which helps to maintain Farmersgirl Kitchen and if you add 3116 FREE AMBASSADOR DELIVERY to the comment box when they order. the delivery charge will then be credited to your card.
More Blended Soups from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Spicy Roast Pumpkin Soup is ideal to use the flesh from your Halloween pumpkin or make it with Butternut Squash for a sweeter flavour.
Lettuce Soup is really delicious and a great way to use up excess lettuce from the garden.
Easy Carrot and Tomato Soup is sweet and rich and smooth and tastes very like that famous branded tomato soup.
PIN FOR LATER
Are we connected?
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Spicy Parsnip and Apple Soup
- 800 g parsnips peeled and chopped
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eating apples peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped (optional)
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 300 ml semi-skimmed milk or a mix of cream and milk for a special occasion
- 600 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions until soft, add the garlic and spices and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the parsnips, celery if using, and apples stirring well to cover them with the spices.
- Add the stock and cook until the parsnips are soft about 20-30 minutes.
- When slightly cooled, use a hand blender or liquidiser to liquidise the soup.
- Add the milk and/or cream reheat.
- Serve with thinly sliced apple, a sprinkling of chilli flakes and lots of crusty bread.