I am totally sold on the concept of an Ice Cream Sandwich and especially a Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwich. You can pick it up and lick the ice cream from the centre with the melting ice cream running down your fingers or eat it from a bowl breaking through the crisp buttery cookie to reach the sweet, ice cream centre. The addition of delicious Scottish strawberries makes this the perfect dessert.
Homemade Scottish Shortbread
If you don’t have time to make your own shortbread, you could buy some shortbread cookies to make a really speedy Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwich, but there is no doubt that homemade butter shortbread is much better and it’s simple to make.
More Strawberry Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Recipe for Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwich
Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwich
For the shortbread biscuits
- 300 g plain flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 g butter
- 20 g caster superfine sugar for dredging
- 500 g Ice cream I used strawberry shortcake frozen yogurt
- 250 g strawberries
To make the shortbread biscuits
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the sugar. Work in the butter with your fingertips - keep it in one piece and gradually work in the dry ingredients. Knead well until the dough has come together.
- Pat down on a work surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/2 cm (1/8 in) and cut out with a cookie cutter. You will probably have to keep pushing the dough back together again as it is very crumbly.
- Slide the cut biscuits off the work surface with a knife and onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 170C (325F) Mark 3 for about 8 minutes until firm and pale golden brown.
- Lift onto a cooling tray with a spatula and dredge with caster (superfine) sugar.
To assemble the ice cream sandwich
- Using the ice cream of your choice, I used ready made Strawberry Shortcake Frozen Yogurt, let it soften slightly and press it into an even layer about 2 cm deep, then press it into the cookie cutter that you used to cut the biscuits, remove the cookie cutter and refreeze the ice cream patties.
- Then take a biscuit (cookie), layer on some sliced strawberries, add the ice cream pattie, more sliced berries, top with another biscuit and decorate with a halved strawberry.
Using the cookie cutter to make the ice cream rounds for the Strawberry ShortbreadIce Cream Sandwiches means that they are always the correct size. Store some in your freezer so they are always on hand when you want to create an ice cream sandwich.