Summer Pudding is my all time favourite summer dessert. All of those sweet berries oozing their juice through slices of thick white bread, oh my goodness it’s so delicious and these Summer Pudding Ice Lollies are super-delicious too.
When I picked blackcurrants last weekend, I didn’t have time to make a summer pudding. However, I did make a fruit compote using the summer berries and it occurred to me that this might make a good ice lolly, and that’s how I created Summer Pudding Ice Lollies, and they are a triumph!
Summer Pudding Ice Lollies
- 100 g Blackcurrants
- 200 g Strawberries
- 100 g Raspberries
- 50 g Redcurrants
- 180 g Sugar*
- Place the blackcurrants and redcurrants into a pan with the sugar and a tbsp of water.
- Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, the juice runs and the blackcurrants start to soften.
- Add the raspberries and strawberries and cook gently for 5 minutes more, you don't want to break up the fruit just soften it slightly.
- Take off the heat and cool a little, check the sweetness*, it needs to be sweeter than you need for eating as compote as the sweetness diminishes with freezing. If you need more sugar, add another tablespoonful and heat gently to dissolve.
- Leave until completely cold.
- Fill into lolly moulds and freeze until solid, preferably overnight.
I really recommend that you get yourself some ice lolly moulds, it’s so easy to make lollies and they have so much more flavour and you know exactly what ingredients have gone into them. If you like these lollies have a look at my Chocolate Dipped Mango Mousse Ice Lollies.
Bloggers Scream for Ice Cream is running again this month and Kavey Eats has chosen ‘dairy-free’ as the theme. There is nothing but fruit, sugar and a little water in these ice lollies so I think they are perfect for this challenge.
What is your favourite summer dessert? Would it make a good ice lolly? Let me know, I’m always looking for inspiration!