3 Ingredient Vanilla Frozen Yogurt is a really easy recipe to make in your ice cream machine. The result is a light, fresh but still creamy frozen dessert. It is delicious on its own or serve it with other desserts.
I love full cream ice cream but sometimes it is nice to have something that is a bit lighter and fresher tasting. This simple frozen yogurt is good on it’s own but it really shines when you serve it with sweet fruit desserts.
What kind of yogurt can I use?
Make Vanilla Frozen Yogurt with whole milk strained yogurt. Buy good quality whole milk strained greek yogurt or make your own by straining whole milk natural yogurt.
Instructions for making your own strained yogurt are given in the recipe card.
What is Vanilla?
Vanilla pods are the seed pods of a specific species of flowering orchids that grow close to the equator. The pods then go through a number of processes before being dried and conditioned.
What is Vanilla Extract?
Pure Vanilla Extract is made by soaking vanilla beans in alcohol. The liquid is then given time to age and mellow before bottling. Always check that you are buying pure vanilla extract and not anything that says imitation or vanilla flavouring.
Can I use Vanilla Bean paste?
Yes, vanilla bean paste is a good choice, particularly if you want to have the little flecks of vanilla seeds show in your frozen yogurt.
What kind of sugar do I use in the Frozen Vanilla Yogurt?
To make the Frozen Vanilla Yogurt white, use white caster (superfine or baker’s) sugar because this will dissolve more easily in the yogurt.
Can I make Vanilla Frozen Yogurt without an ice cream machine?
I don’t recommend making frozen yogurt without an ice cream machine. Frozen yogurt is much lower in fat than ice cream and will, therefore, forms more ice crystals.
The mechanical churn beats air the mixture and this also breaks up the ice crystals.
You can make frozen yogurt by freezing it in a shallow container. Remove it frequently and beat to break up the crystals. However, it is not as successful as making it in an ice cream churn.
More frozen dessert recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Easy Lemon Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream is rich and creamy with the sharp flavours of lemon and raspberry contrasting with the sweetness of the ice cream. Make it with lemon curd for a really easy recipe.
Easy White Chocolate Eton Mess Ice Cream uses the traditional ingredients of Eton Mess: strawberries, cream, and pieces of crisp meringue. Add a little white chocolate for extra sweetness.
Homemade Caramel Apple Ice Cream brings together the special combination of apples and caramel. Serve in cookie cups for a really fun dessert.
More Frozen Yogurt Recipes
- Easy 5 minute Healthy Frozen Yogurt – Hungry Healthy Happy
- Cantaloupe Melon Frozen Yogurt – Searching for Spice
- Fruity Frozen Yogurt Bark – Veggie Desserts
Crumble Desserts to serve with Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
Vanilla Frozen Yogurt (Ice Cream Machine)
- ice cream machine
- 720 g good quality whole-milk strained yogurt or Greek strained yogurt
- 150 g caster sugar superfine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put the yogurt, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve from the churn or spoon into a container and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Remove from the freezer and allow to sit for 20 minutes to soften a little before serving.
- To make 240g of strained yogurt, line a mesh sieve with a few layers of muslin or cheesecloth.
- Spoon 480 g natural whole-milk yogurt into the muslin.
- Gather the ends of the muslin and fold them over the yogurt.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.