Easy Chicken and Barley Broth is a classic country soup. The broth is ideally made with the bones of a chicken either fresh or the leftovers from a delicious roast chicken. But if you don’t have a homemade chicken stock you can use a ready-made stock or stock cube.
Sunday is my day for making soup, then it lasts most of the week for a filling and delicious lunch. Chicken and Barley Broth is simple to make and the soup is full of flavour.
With the kind of freezing weather we had yesterday, and the wind and rain before that, soups and stews are very welcome. to warm and fill you up.
More Chicken Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie – an American classic made simple in the slow cooker
Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry is a rich and creamy curry made easy with curry paste and coconut milk.
More Barley Recipes
Chicken, Leek & Barley Casserole – Farnersgirl Kitchen
Leek & Barley Broth – Lost in Food
Barley & Roasted Vegetable Salad – Recipes Made Easy
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Chicken and Pearl Barley Broth
- 1 onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 150 g pearl barley soaked overnight
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil and cook the onion over a medium heat until starting to soften.
- Add the carrots, barley and chicken stock.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Bring the broth to a boil, then simmer for about 45mins to 1 hour until the pearl barley is soft
- Add the thyme and parsley (I didn't have any but it does add a lovely freshness to the soup) and check the seasoning.
- If you have any pieces of chicken which you can add to the broth, it can easily be your main meal with some crusty bread.