Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry is a rich and creamy curry made easy with curry paste and coconut milk. The chicken is tender and the spices and coconut milk blend to make a sweet mild curry that’s ideal for all the family.
Shortcut Chicken Curry
I always have good intentions to roast and grind my own spices, but somehow time is rarely on my side. If you are short of time, this is the next best thing!
What is coconut milk?
Coconut milk is made by grating fresh coconut and mixing with water. It is one of my favourite ingredients.
It is easily available in cans from the supermarket and adds so much flavour to sweet and savoury dishes. I can remember a time when it wasn’t so easy to come by and the only time you saw a coconut was when you won them at the fair!
I do remember trying to make coconut milk by soaking desiccated coconut in water, it was a very poor, thin sort of liquid, no comparison to the coconut milk in this Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry.
What kind of curry paste do you use?
I use Madras curry paste as it has a nice medium heat and a good curry flavour. However, you use the curry paste that you like, a Korma would be good if you prefer your curry a little milder.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry
- chicken breast fillets
- curry paste
- coocnut milk
- cashew nuts (optional)
- flaked coconut (optional)
It’s a really simple recipe, made even more convenient by cooking it in the Slow Cooker.
How to serve Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
Serve Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry straight from the slow cooker with boiled rice and a side salad.
Add a few cashew nuts toasted in a dry frying pan and for an extra hit of coconut, toasted flakes of coconut. Both of these add a lovely crunchy texture to the dish. We really enjoyed the curry, and if you don’t eat it all then, like all curries, it is even better the next day.
More Curry Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Super Simple Chicken Curry is a recipe from Masterchef winner Dhruv Baker. And, what a super delicious recipe this is, if you have never made a curry from scratch I would recommend this recipe as the place to start.
Have you tried a Vietnamese Chicken Curry? This was a first for me, but it certainly won’t be the last, what a wonderful mixture of spices and flavours in this delicious simple curry recipe.
Chicken and Apricot Curry is a sweet mild curry that will appeal to those who prefer a subtlety spiced dish rather than a chilli hot curry.
More Curry Recipes
- Kill a Cold Lentil Curry with Kale and Red Pepper – Tin & Thyme
- Quick & Spicy Prawn Curry – Fab Food 4 All
- Mamta’s Delicious Lucknowi-Style Lamb Biryani – Kavey Eats
- Aubergine, Mushroom and Sweet Potato Massaman Curry – Planet Veggie
Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1 tsp rape seed oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 500 g chicken breast fillets
- 3 medium potatoes diced
- 2 tbsp curry paste
- 400 g can of coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a pan (or in the slow cooker base if you have a metal slow cooker bowl) and add the garlic and ginger.
- Cook on a medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the curry paste and cook for another minute.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and add to the pan.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until the outside of the chicken takes on some colour.
- Add the potatoes and mix into the spice and chicken mixture.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Spoon the curry into the slow cooker bowl and cook for 4-5 hours on low.
- Serve in a bowl with or without rice and top with toasted cashew nuts and crispy coconut
This is my entry for the Slow Cooked Challenge the monthly Linky for Slow Cooked recipes that is run by me and Lucy at Baking Queen 74, this month Lucy is hosting. Find out more on the Slow Cooked Challenge page.