Scottish Whisky Mac Cranachan is a twist on the classic Scottish Cranachan dessert, a traditional dish made with cream, honey, whisky and oats with Scottish Raspberries.
I have changed this up a bit, inspired by another Scottish classic: the Whisky Mac. Whisky Mac is a cocktail made by mixing Scotch whisky with Green Ginger Wine, the combination of whisky and ginger makes for a really warming drink.
My Scottish Whisky Mac Cranachan includes Green Ginger wine, chopped ginger in syrup and a ginger oat granola.
I’ve used redcurrants, rather than raspberries, to add a little acidity to balance out the richness of the cream, and they also make a really pretty garnish.
Ginger Oat Granola
One of the key ingredients in the Whisky Mac Cranachan is the ginger oat granola. If time is short buy some granola but this really is such a simple recipe with only four ingredients.
It’s worth spending a few more minutes to make it from scratch. You can make it in advance and store in an airtight container until you are ready to assemble your Cranachan.
Cranachan is an ideal dessert to serve at a Burns Supper. A night to celebrate the works of Scotland’s National Bard, Robert Burns on his birthday 25th January.
A Burns Supper involves speeches, often humorous, recitations of Burns poems and renditions of his songs. Read my guide for How to Host the Ultimate Burns Supper . You will find out more about the recipes and traditions of this Scottish institution.
Whisky Mac Cranachan is a brilliant dessert to make for a dinner party, as it’s simple to assemble. Make the granola earlier in the day or even the day before and then combine the whipped cream with the other ingredients.
Although I used redcurrants, you can use other fruits, as this is a cream-based dessert, a sharper fruit like raspberries, blackberries or even rhubarb to provide the best balance.
More Cranachan Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
Scottish Rhubarb Cranachan – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Iced Cranachan – Farmersgirl Kitchen
More Cranachan Recipe Variations
Cranachan Flapjacks with Whisky Icing Drizzle – Foodie Quine
Danish Apple Cake (similar to Cranachan) – Fab Food 4 All
White Chocolate and Greek Yogurt Cranachan – Tin & Thyme
Scottish Oaty Cranachan with Strawberries – Tinned Tomatoes
Peach Melba Cranachan – Kellie’s Food to Glow
PIN FOR LATER
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Scottish Whisky Mac Cranachan
For the granola
- 70 g rolled oats
- 35 g butter
- 35 g runny honey
- 1 tsp ground ginger
For the whisky cream
- 300 ml double cream
- 80 g ginger in syrup 4 balls
- 45 g honey on the comb
- 150 g redcurrants save four sprigs for decoration
- 1 tbsp Green Ginger Wine
- 1 tbsp Balblair 1999 Highland Single Malt Whisky 1st Release
To make the ginger oat granola
- Place the oats and ground ginger in a bowl and stir with a spoon, add the butter and runny honey.
- Microwave for 2 minutes or until the butter and honey has melted.
- Stir until all the oats are covered, turn out onto a baking tray in a shallow layer.
- Bake at 180 C for 10-15 minutes. Check after 5 minutes and stir to ensure the granola browns evenly.
- Once the granola is a deep golden brown, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
To make the Cranachan
- Whip the double cream until your beaters just start to leave a trail in the cream. You don’t want it too thick as the oat granola will thicken it.
- Chop the preserved ginger balls into small pieces.
- Chop the honeycomb into small pieces.
- Using a fork, remove the redcurrants from their stalks (keep four stalks for decoration)
- Mix the ginger, honeycomb and redcurrants into the whipped cream. Add 1 tbsp Green Ginger drink and 1 tbsp Balblair 1990 Highland Single Malt Whisky and stir to combine.
- Just before serving add 50g of the oat granola to the cream and stir gently.
- Spoon the cream mixture into four glasses, top each glass with a little more granola and a stalk of redcurrants.