This Slow Cooker Chorizo, Potato and Runner Bean One Pot dinner is perfect for making an inexpensive, tasty and filling meal using a garden glut of potatoes and runner beans from the garden or allotment.
Even if you don’t have access to homegrown produce, these ingredients are cheap to buy, if you can’t get runner beans then frozen french beans will work just as well., it’s a filling dinner and it’s really simple to make.
We’ve had a glorious summer in Scotland and it’s been the perfect year to start growing vegetables and flowers in six raised beds in my garden. The bean bed featured mangetout peas, broad beans and runner beans with a side of nasturtiums grown for their leaves, flowers and seeds.
The peas and broad beans are finished now, but I’m still picking runner beans every day. If you’ve ever grown them you will know that they really easy to grow and the number of beans per plant is epic! It was this abundance that made me think about how I could make a tasty dinner with these simple ingredients.
We’ve eaten the beans as a vegetable accompaniment, I’ve blanched and frozen them but I wanted to find another way to cook with these great garden favourites. So I turned to my trusty slow cooker to create a comforting Slow Cooker Chorizo, Potato and Runner Bean one-pot meal.
One of the things I love about cooking in the slow cooker is just how easy it is to make a really hearty meal. In this garden vegetable recipe,
The sweet flavours of the tomatoes, pepper and sweet paprika are absorbed into the potatoes. The runner beans go in just before the end of cooking so they still retain some texture and colour.
More Runner Bean Recipes
Summer Vegetable Soup – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Runner Beans with shallot butter – BBC Good Food
Green Beans with Almonds & Creme Fraiche – Tin & Thyme
Runner Bean & prosciutto pasta – BBC Good Food
Chilli Garlic Green Bean Recipe – Recipes from a Pantry
Cypriot Vegetable Stew (Turlu) – Tin & Thyme
Thai Spicy Green Beans – Kavey Eats
PIN FOR LATER
I’m adding this Slow Cooker Chorizo, Potato & Runner Bean One Pot to #CookBlogShare the link up for food bloggers
Slow Cooker Chorizo, Potato and Runner One Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 red bell pepper de-seeded and cut into large pieces
- 200 g Chorizo skin removed and diced
- 1 kg potatoes cut into 2.5 cm dice
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp purée
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 200 ml vegetable stock made with a vegetable stock cube
- 350 g prepared weight runner beans cut into approx 2-3 cm lengths
- 25 g French parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan to a medium heat (I have a metal slow cooker pot which goes straight on the stove) add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pepper, smoked paprika and diced chorizo and cook for a further 2 minutes till the chorizo releases its colour.
- Add the potatoes, tinned tomatoes and stock, stir to mix then spoon the mixture into your slow cooker.
- Cook in the slow cooker on low for 6 hours.
- Cook the runner beans in boiling water for 5 minutes. Add to the slow cooker and stir in 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve garnished with french parsley.