It’sRhubarb Central here at Farmersgirl Kitchen! This time I’m bringing you some Spiced Rhubarb, Ginger and Lemon Muffins. This is a classic combination with the spices including cinnamon and little pieces of crystalised ginger.
Rhubarb and Ginger are the perfect partnership and one that I have used many times in recipes like my popular Rhubarb and Ginger Jam and Rhubarb and Ginger Trifles and Rhubarb and Ginger Smoothie Bowl. However, adding lemon to these Rhubarb Ginger and Lemon Muffins really enhances both the rhubarb and the ginger flavours.
Spiced Rhubarb, Ginger and Lemon Muffins
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon extract or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 ml milk
- 100 g rhubarb finely diced
- 175 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch salt
- 50 g crystalised ginger chopped
- 1/2 lemon grated zest
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Line you muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place 125g of the sugar, oil, egg cinnamon extract and milk. Mix together and add the rhubarb.
- Sift your dry ingredients into the bowl, add the wet ingredients and stir until combined but don't over mix or your muffins will be heavy.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases, filling about 3/4 full. 4. Sift your dry ingredients into the bowl, add the wet ingredients and stir until combined but don't over mix or your muffins will be heavy.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the remaining sugar (I forgot to do this!)
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
|Cakey, fruity gingeryness!|
What I really liked about these muffins was that they were really moist, the acidity of the rhubarb and the lemon took the edge off the sweetness and the combination of ginger and cinnamon worked really well with the fruit. Best of all were the little nuggets of intense crystallised ginger.
I decided to make these when I saw the Recipes for Life Challenge at Vanesther’s Bangers and Mash blog. The rules of the Recipes for Life call for a trio of ingredients, and this month they are rhubarb with lemon and spice. A monthly winner will be picked and the best of the recipes will be included in a new charity cookbook to be published by SWALLOW later this year.