These Rhubarb and Ginger Trifles are a rhubarb recipe you can make with only two stalks of rhubarb and it will feed a family of four. I usually have a pack of trifle sponges or some sponge fingers in my larder, they are ideal to pair with fruit because a trifle will stretch the most meagre of ingredients into a feast.
Rhubarb and Ginger Trifle Recipe
Rhubarb and Ginger Trifles
- 4 trifle sponges
- 2 tbsp Madeira Sherry or orange juice
- 2 stalks of rhubarb
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 250 ml ready made custard
- 150 ml double or whipping cream
- 20 g flaked almonds
- Chop the rhubarb into small pieces and place in a saucepan with the ginger and the sugar, heat gently until the juices run and the rhubarb is soft. Put the rhubarb to one side to cool.
- Place one trifle sponge in the base of each of the ramekins, pour 1/2 a tbsp of Madeira, Sherry or orange juice over each one.
- Divide the poached rhubarb between the ramekins along with any of the remaining juices.
- Cover the rhubarb with custard.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, either pipe it on top or spoon it over the custard.
- Toast the flaked almonds in a dry pan until they start to turn golden, let them cool. Just before serving sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top of the trifles.
PIN FOR LATER
MORE RHUBARB DESSERT RECIPES AT FARMERSGIRL KITCHEN: