I love shortbread biscuits or cookies. These Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies are made simply by adding chopped dark chocolate to a basic flour, butter and sugar shortbread recipe. Make it with or without the chocolate, either way, you won’t be disappointed.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 300 g plain flour
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 g butter
- 100 g chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- caster sugar superfine sugar for dredging
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the sugar.
Work in the butter with your fingertips - keep it in one piece and gradually work in the dry ingredients.
- Knead well adding in the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate once the dough has come together.
- Pat down on a work surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/2 cm (1/8 in) and cut out with a cookie cutter.
- You will probably have to keep pushing the dough back together again as it is very crumbly.
- Slide the cut biscuits off the work surface with a knife and onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 170C (325F) Mark 3 for about 8 minutes until firm and pale golden brown.
- Lift onto a cooling tray with a spatula and dredge with caster (superfine) sugar.
You can make plain shortbread biscuits, just omit the chocolate, the rest of the ingredients remain the same.
Yield depends on size of cutter.