I love shortbread biscuits or cookies. These Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies are made simply by adding chopped dark chocolate to a basic flour, butter and sugar shortbread recipe. Make it with or without the chocolate, either way, you won’t be disappointed.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 300g (10oz) plain flour
- 100g ( 4oz) caster sugar
- 200g (8oz) butter
- 100g chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- caster (superfine) sugar for dredging
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the sugar.
- Work in the butter with your fingertips - keep it in one piece and gradually work in the dry
- Knead well adding in the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate once the dough has come together.
- Pat down on a work surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/2 cm (1/8 in) and cut out with a cookie cutter.
- You will probably have to keep pushing the dough back
- together again as it is very crumbly.
- Slide the cut biscuits off the work surface with a knife and onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 170C (325F) Mark 3 for about 8 minutes until firm and pale golden brown.
- Lift onto a cooling tray with a spatula and dredge with caster (superfine) sugar.
- You can make plain shortbread biscuits, just omit the chocolate, the rest of the ingredients remain the same.
- Yield depends on size of cutter.