It’s the season for gathering Wild Garlic, the flowers are starting to bloom on the plants and soon the leaves will become more tough and not so good for cooking. Scones are a really good vehicle for all sorts of flavours both sweet and savoury and the cheese worked really well with the wild garlic.
Cheese and Wild Garlic Scones
makes 6-8 depending on the size of your cutter!
225g self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
100g finely grated cheese
30g wild garlic leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp of dry mustard
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C
- Mix the flour and baking powder and rub in the butter until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the cheese and the finely chopped wild garlic leaves.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and add to the mixture, add enough milk to bring it together into a soft dough.
- Dust your work surface with flour and gently pat the dough into a round about 2 cm thick, cut out your scones.
- Place on a greased and floured baking tray, brush the tops with a little milk.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the scones are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.