I always have mixed feelings about seeing the blackberries ripen in our farm lane, on one hand, I enjoy foraging for free fruit, on the other hand, those blackberries herald the slippery slope towards the end of the summer. I’m concentrating on the positive with this quick and delicious recipe for Easy Blackberry and Apple Hand Pies.
How to make Easy Blackberry & Apple Hand Pies
Let me show you how to make these Easy Blackberry and Apple Hand Pies, a little taste of the end of summer.
Roll out the Ready-Made Puff Pastry
Using ready-made puff pastry makes it super simple to make the pies. If you can use a rolling pin then you can make these sweet little pies.
Cut out the circles for the pies
You need 12 circles to make 6 Hand Pies. A single 500g block of puff pastry is enough for the 6 pies, you can reroll the remaining pastry and use it to make more pies, but the rerolled pastry never quite puffs up the same as the first cut.
Brush the edges with beaten egg
It’s important to get a good seal between the two puff pastry circles, you don’t want your filling to spill out, so brush the edges well with egg yolk.
Add the Blackberry & Apple compote
The filling should be cold when you place it on the puff pastry, or it will melt the fat in the pastry and you won’t get as crisp a finish.
Seal the Blackberry & Apple Hand Pies
Cut a cross on the top circle and place it over the filling. Crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
Finish and Bake
Brush the Easy Blackberry and Apple Hand Pies with egg white and sprinkle with demerara or other crystal sugar, before baking.
More Blackberry Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
More Individual Pie Recipes
Easy Jam Hand Pies (3 Ingredients)– Veggie Desserts
Bite-sized Chocolate and Strawberry Tarts – Sew White
PIN FOR LATER
Easy Blackberry and Apple Hand Pies
- 100 grams blackberries fresh or frozen
- 1 medium apple
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 500g block puff pastry
- 1 med egg
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar or other large crystal sugar
- Peel the apple and cut into 2 cm cubes, place these in a saucepan with the blackberries, granulated sugar and water.
- Heat gently until the sugar is dissolved and the apple is soft.
- Mix the cornflour with just enough cold water to make a thin paste. Add this to the blackberries and apples and heat gently stirring until the compote thickens. Leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry and cut out 12 circles with a 10 cm plain cutter. Place on a non-stick baking tray or onto baking parchment on a baking tray.
- Separate the egg and brush the edges of half the circles with beaten egg yolk.
- Put about 3 tsp of fruit compote on the pastry circles with the egg yolk edges..
- Cut a cross in the centre of each of the other 6 circles and place over the filling. Press the edges down with a fork to seal.
- Whisk the egg white to break it up, then brush the tops of the hand pies with egg white and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake at 180C for 30 minutes until the pasty has risen and is golden brown. Serve warm or cold.