Easy Blackberry and Apple Trifle is an ideal autumnal dessert to make the most of foraged blackberries and homegrown apples. I’m lucky that I have access to all the hedgerows on our farm and I have my own apple tree, but if you don’t have access to the countryside and have no apple tree, never fear, you can buy cultivated blackberries or use frozen fruit and apples are available everywhere and all year round.
Step by Step How to make Easy Blackberry and Apple Trifle
Trifle is one of my favourite desserts, it’s such an easy dessert to assemble and now that you can get really good ready-made custard in supermarkets it is even easier. I start the Blackberry and Apple Trifle with some cubes of madeira cake. You can use other plain cake or even trifle sponges, but I find that madeira cake makes a nice base. It also soaks up the alcohol very nicely. I used the last of my Hedgerow Vodka, but you can use sherry or other fruit liqueurs or if prefer it without the alcohol I would recommend orange juice.
Make sure you add plenty of the Blackberry and Apple compote, it’s the star of the show and, although it is sweetened, it has a nice tart flavour which balances out the custard and cream.
Spoon the custard over the fruit compote making sure you cover it with a nice even layer.
Now you are ready to whip the double cream just to the point where it will hold its shape.
You can pile the cream on top of the custard or if you want to make the Easy Blackberry and Apple Trifle a little prettier you can pipe it onto the trifles. I used a Wilton 1M piping nozzle and started piping from the centre of the bowl.
Just before serving sprinkle the trifle with toasted flaked almonds, a fresh blackberry and a thin slice of apple.
Don’t forget to PIN this image for later
Easy Blackberry and Apple Trifle
- 150 grams madeira or other sponge cake
- 300 grams ready made chilled custard
- 200 ml double cream
- 25 grams flaked almonds, toasted
- 20 ml hedgerow vodka, sherry or orange juice
- 4 fresh blackberries for decoration
- 1 apple for decoration
Blackberry and Apple Compote
- 4 medium cooking apples
- 300 grams blackberries
- 100 grams sugar
- 2 tbsp water
To make the compote
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Put the apples, blackberries, sugar and water into a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar is melted.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes until the apples have dissolved to a pulp.
- Leave to cool.
To assemble the trifes
- Cut the cake into cubes and place in the bottom of the trifle dishes, divide the alcohol between the four portions, sprinkling over the cake.
- Spoon blackberry and apple compote over the cake. You will have plenty of compote, so add as much as you like but do cover the cake.
- Cover the compote with custard.
- Whip the cream until it is soft but will hold its shape. You don't have to pipe it onto the trifles but it does look pretty. I used a Wilton 1M piping nozzle. If you don't pipe then simply pile the cream onto the custard.
- Toast the flaked almonds in a dry frying pan on a medium heat, moving them around until they are a golden brown.
- Just before serving, Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the trifles and add fresh blackberries and a half slice of apple.
I’m adding this Blackberry and Apple Trifle to the #CookBlogShare link up for bloggers recipes, it’s a great place to find new recipes and new blogs to follow.
More Blackberry and Apple Recipes
Blackberry and Apple Crumble – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Blackberry and Apple Skillet Breakfast Crumble – Elizabeth’s Kitchen
Easy Blackberry and Apple Hand Pies – Farmersgirl Kitchen
Blackberry and Apple Crumble Cake – Family Friends Food
Blackberry and Tofu Brulee – Fab Food 4 All