I am so excited about this Hot Cross Bun Mug Cake! It’s the first one that I’ve created myself and it’s so good. You get all the flavours of a Hot Cross Bun in a matter of minutes.
Hot Cross Buns are a sweet and spicy yeasted bun traditionally served on Good Friday. They appear in the shops shortly after the Christmas holidays along with Easter Eggs!
Sometimes I really want to enjoy a special sweet treat. This recipe means there is, no need to nip out to the shops because I can mix up a few ingredients and make my own in your microwave in minutes.
This little cake has a great texture and, although it took me a few trials I’ve finally cracked it and got the right balance of fruit, spice, and sugar, so it really tastes just like a Hot Cross Bun.
How to make the cross on the Mug Cake
Here’s how I made the cross on the top of the Mug Cake, this video was made during my testing of the recipe which is why there is a different mug.
Perfect for one
A real indulgence when you are on your own, but if you want more you can easily double up the recipe and make two mug cakes, you will have to cook each one separately though.
Like all mug cakes, it’s best eaten soon after it has been cooked. Just run your knife around the edge of the mug cake and you can take it out of the mug, split and butter it, just like a proper Hot Cross Bun. This is my favourite way to eat this special treat.
I’m adding this Hot Cross Bun Mug Cake to a couple of link-ups. Simply Eggcellent – the Linky Party run by Belleau Kitchen where all things eggy are welcome.
We Should Cocoa – okay, I know there is only a dusting of cocoa on top of my Hot Cross Bun Mug Cake, but it is there!
More Easter Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
How to make Easter Simnel Cake Easter Simnel Cake is a traditional fruit cake featuring a layer of marzipan inside and on top of the cake. It makes a perfect centrepiece for your Easter table.
Hot Cross Shortbread Cookies are shortbread cookies with all the citrus and spicy flavours of a Hot Cross Bun. It’s the perfect recipe for your cookie jar all year round, but when you dress up these cookies with a piped cross, they make a great addition to your Easter tea table.
How to make Hot Cross Bun Waffles all the flavours of a hot cross bun in a delicious Easter breakfast waffle.
Simnel Traybake Cake (Slice) is a quick and easy traybake adapted from the traditional marzipan topped Simnel Cake. It is easy to slice and perfect to serve for Mother’s Day or at Easter.
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Hot Cross Bun Mug Cake
- 15 g butter
- 1/2 medium egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp mixed dried fruit the kind with mixed peel in it
- 3 tbsp self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- Put the butter into a large mug and microwave for 20 – 30 seconds
- Add the egg, milk and sugar and whisk to combine
- Add the mixed spice, flour and salt and mix until the batter is smooth
- Add the mixed dried fruit and orange zest and mix into the batter
- Microwave the mug cake for 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes 30 seconds, depending on the rating of your microwave.
- While you leave the cake to cool slightly, make a cross with two strips of foil or paper, lay these over the mug and using a sieve or tea strainer to dust the top of the mug with cocoa. Remove the strips of foil or paper and you will reveal your cross.
- When microwaving your mug cake, start with 1 minute 30 seconds, then if still wet on top cook for a further 20 seconds at a time until it is just firm on top.
- Try not to overcook or your cake may be dry.
- You can make any shape for the top of your Hot Cross Bun, the cross is traditional but if you have other stencils or shapes, you can use those, a heart would be fun.
- Or simply dust all of the bun with cocoa or as an alternative to cocoa you could use cinnamon