Have you ever made Lettuce Soup? Lettuce is a much-overlooked ingredient, as well as serving as a salad, you can braise it and serve as a vegetable and you can make a delicious soup.
Making Lettuce Soup saves waste
Lettuce Soup is also a brilliant way to use lettuces from the garden or allotment that have bolted and are past their best. Even better you can use that forgotten lettuce at the bottom of the fridge, you know, the one that is slightly limp, maybe a little brown around the edges, but not wet and slimy, I’m afraid that one goes in the compost heap.
- 25 g butter
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 1 large or two smaller carrots washed and finely diced
- 2 heads of lettuce or about 200 g leaves
- 1 tbs chopped chives
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- salt & pepper
- 300 ml full fat milk
- 1 tsp chopped parsley to serve
- A little single cream to serve
- Melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and carrots and cook until the onions soft.
- Roughly chop the lettuce and add to the pan, cook until the lettuce has wilted.
- Add the stock, season with a little salt and pepper and cook for about 5-10 minutes until the carrots are just softened.
- Remove from the heat add place into a blender with the milk.
- Blend until completely smooth, taste and add seasoning if required.
- Reheat and serve with a swirl of cream and a sprinkling of chopped chives
Traditionally Lettuce Soup is made only with lettuce and onions or leeks, but I like to add a few carrots as they add a little sweetness, I also added a few chard leaves from the garden. If I have some celery I’d happily add some of that too. As long as there is more lettuce than other ingredients, then you won’t lose the delicacy of flavour.
Lettuce Soup is really quick and easy to make, so next time you are about to throw out a lettuce, remember you can make Lettuce Soup!
More Spring and Summer Soup Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
More Recipes using cooked salad vegetables:
Bean and Roasted Radish Salad with Oregano Dressing – Natural Kitchen Adventures
Leftover Salad Soup – Fuss Free Flavours
Marinated Grilled Cucumbers with Garlic and Dill Dip – Veggie Desserts