Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder is a chunky soup using potatoes, peas, ham, and wild garlic leaves. The soup has a mild garlic flavour and is creamy and totally delicious.
Why Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder?
Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder is the result of my annual spring obsession with foraging for wild garlic in the woods close to where I live.
Free food is hard to resist and Wild Garlic is such a versatile herb and it complements so many different recipes.
What is Wild Garlic?
Wild Garlic is also known as Ransoms and is a leafy plant which appears in spring. You can eat the young leaves and the flowers which both have a pungent smell of garlic but are mild in flavour.
Where does Wild Garlic Grow?
It grows on the woodland floor often close to water. Always pick wild garlic far from the roadside and traffic pollution. Get more information about foraging for wild garlic on the Countryfile website
How do you prepare Wild Garlic?
Was the Wild Garlic carefully then you can use it just as you would other herbs. Or store it wrapped in damp kitchen paper and a plastic bag in the salad drawer of the fridge. It will keep for 2 or 3 days stored like this without any ill effect.
Can you freeze Wild Garlic?
You can chop it finely and put in ice cube trays then cover with olive oil. Drop these cubes into soups and stews to add a little wild garlic flavour.
You can also freeze it as Wild Garlic Pesto or Wild Garlic Hummus.
I can’t find Wild Garlic, can I still make the Chowder?
If you can’t find any Wild Garlic you can still make this delicious soup. Ad a large crushed clove of garlic with the onion and replace the sliced wild garlic leaves with sliced spinach leaves.
Can I make a Vegetarian Wild Garlic Chowder?
Yes, just leave out the ham and use vegetable stock instead of ham stock.
More Wild Garlic Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
More Chowder Recipes
Skinny Haddock, Bacon and Mushroom Chowder – Fab Food 4 All
Cullen Skink – Traditional Scottish Smoked Haddock Soup – Foodie Quine
Vegan Corn Chowder – Veggie Desserts
Gluten Free Roasted Cauliflower and Vegetable Chowder – Family, Friends, Food
PIN FOR LATER
Stay in touch with everything that’s going on at Farmersgirl Kitchen.
Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40 grams butter
- 1 large onion
- 750 grams baby new potatoes
- 125 grams thickly cut cooked ham
- 1 1/2 litres ham stock
- 100 grams frozen peas
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 750 ml semi-skilled milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 35 grams wild garlic leaves
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan
- Chop the onion and add to the pan, cook gently until it starts to become transparent.
- Quarter the new potatoes and add them to the pan.
- Add the hot stock, finely dice the sliced ham and slice the wild garlic into fine ribbons, then add both to the stock.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Mix the cornflour and turmeric with a little of the cold milk and add to the stock, stirring. Add the rest of the milk and the frozen peas and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Season to taste.