This Simply Seasonal Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder is the result of my annual spring obsession with foraging for wild garlic in the woods close to where I live. Free food is hard to resist and Wild Garlic is such a versatile herb and it complements so many different recipes.
I’d gathered quite a lot of Wild Garlic and, after carefully washing it I had stored it wrapped in damp kitchen paper and a plastic bag in the salad drawer of the fridge. it will keep for 2 or 3 days stored like this without any ill effect.
My intention was to make a Corn Chowder, however, when I looked in the freezer, there was no sweetcorn left, but I did find some slices of cooked ham and frozen peas, so my corn chowder became Simply Seasonal Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder. If you can’t find any Wild Garlic you can still make this delicious soup by adding a large crushed clove of garlic when you add the onion and replacing the sliced wild garlic leaves with sliced spinach leaves.
Simply Seasonal Wild Garlic, Ham and Pea Chowder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40 grams butter
- 1 large onion
- 750 grams baby new potatoes
- 125 grams thickly cut cooked ham
- 1 1/2 litres ham stock
- 100 grams frozen peas
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 750 ml semi-skilled milk
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 35 grams wild garlic leaves
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan
- Chop the onion and add to the pan, cook gently until it starts to become transparent.
- Quarter the new potatoes and add them to the pan.
- Add the hot stock, finely dice the sliced ham and slice the wild garlic into fine ribbons, then add both to the stock.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Mix the cornflour and turmeric with a little of the cold milk and add to the stock, stirring. Add the rest of the milk and the frozen peas and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Season to taste.
PIN FOR LATER
More Wild Garlic Recipes from Farmersgirl Kitchen
More Chowder Recipes
Skinny Haddock, Bacon and Mushroom Chowder – Fab Food 4 All
Cullen Skink – Traditional Scottish Smoked Haddock Soup – Foodie Quine
Vegan Corn Chowder – Veggie Desserts
Gluten Free Roasted Cauliflower and Vegetable Chowder – Family, Friends, Food