After making the Iced Cranachan with Raspberry Coulis and Oat Crumble for Best of British, I was left with 3 egg whites, some Raspberry Coulis and a little Oat Crumble. So I decided that I would combine these with some rhubarb and custard and create a warm trifle.
Warm Rhubarb and Raspberry Meringue Trifle
3 long stalks of outdoor grown rhubarb
1 tbsp caster sugar
4 trifle sponges
3 tbsp raspberry coulis (if you don’t have any you can spread them with jam)
1 litre milk
2 tbsp custard powder
1 tbsp sugar
3 egg whites
125g caster sugar
1. Cut the rhubarb into even sized pieces and place in a single layer in an ovenproof dish or baking tray, sprinkle with 1 tbsp caster sugar and roast at 200C for about 10-15 minutes until soft.
2. Place the trifle sponges in the base of an ovenproof dish, pour the raspberry coulis evenly over the trifle sponges and then cover them with the rhubarb and the juices that have gathered in the bottom of the dish.
3. Scatter over the remaining oat crumble (optional).
4. Make the custard according to the instructions on the packaging and pour over the rhubarb.
5. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, gradually whisk in the sugar until glossy. Pile the meringue on top of the custard and bake in the oven at 160C for 30 minutes, until golden brown.